6 posts in this topic

My Machine Setup:

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe (nForce4 SLI X16)

AMD Athlon 64 FX-60

nVidia GeForce 7950GX2

2GB Dual Channel OCZ XTC Platinum

SATA150 RAID0 (2 Drives) Maxtor Diamond Max 10

Sony 19" DFP

RealTek AC97 OnBoard Audio (Soon to be upgraded, I can't decide what to go with)

So I built a new machine to play with. After the traditional WinXP install and benchmarking/gaming, I decided it was time to try OSX again. (I have successfully installed it on my M6805 Laptop, way back at the start of the OSX86 project ~Jul 2005)

I am currently using OSX 10.4.6 Jas DVD

(I also have OSX 10.4.6 HOTiSO DVD, and 10.4.4 Myzar DVD)

First problem: Install Halted at ATS Server Launch (Right when the blue language select screen is supposed to come up)

Steps I have taken so far:

Anticipating problem I removed SATA150 RAID0 Setup -> Installed Single ATA-133 HDD and disabled all SATA hardware.

- yeilded not difference

Then I realized it is problably a video problem....

I removed my beloved 7950GX2 (Which is now making a very nice paperweight on my desk) -> I installed my old ATI Radeon 7000 PCI video card.

- I can now get to the installation screen, and anticipate no further issues with the install.

My question is: Can I "patch" and install DVD with a set of drivers that will allow me to install with my 7950GX2 (Since I paid a fortune for it, I'd like to use it)

I am going to continue installing using my ATI card for the moment, but if someone can shine some light on the nvidia driver situation/possibilities, I would appriciate it.

Thank you, BJ

I have managed to load the OSX 10.4.6 Jas DVD installer with both (7950GX2 and Radeon7000) video cards installed in the machine. I set the video boot priority in the BIOS to pickup the PCI card first then the PCI-E1. This allows me to have the 7950GX2 installed in the machine for use in Windows and Linux.

I would like to use the 7950GX2 as my primary (and only) display for all operating systems. So, I still would like to install using the 7950GX2 and remove the Radeon 7000 completely.

-BJ

I have Jas 10.4.6 DVD installed successfully now!

I had to install the SSE2 patch for now.

iTunes works, but stutters if I do too much.

I'm gonna try the MacVidia drivers now that I have a running install.

Any suggestion on getting SSE3 working?

Um during the install did you select (or not unselect) the sse3 emu? it is to my understanding that you just need to select the right option for jas 10.4.6 install dvd.

I tried the install with the SSE3 selected (and not the SSE2), and I encountered a kernel panic upon bootup. I reinstalled with the SSE2 selected (and not the SSE3). I am now posting from Safari.

When I look at the processor flags in OSX it does not report SSE3 as beening supported. I know the processor does (it is a Toledo core).

I installed the MacVidia Drivers. This seems to have improved the system performance a lot. iTunes is now smooth as can be. The 7950GX2 is now running as my main display, even without full CI/QE support my graphics are better than the standard G5 in XBench.

I installed beta 2 build 1, and it seems to work well enough for now. I still have to set my resolution at boot up, no selection in OSX yet. But, at least I have my good video card running now.

I tried the install with the SSE3 selected (and not the SSE2), and I encountered a kernel panic upon bootup. I reinstalled with the SSE2 selected (and not the SSE3). I am now posting from Safari.

When I look at the processor flags in OSX it does not report SSE3 as beening supported. I know the processor does (it is a Toledo core).

You can't select SSE3 with dual-core Athlon64-processors. It's an known bug with cpu identification in the by now really really old kernel, should change pretty soon now when the kernel source has been released. Be on the lookout for custom-compiled kernels with proper support for other processors than those used by apple in Intel-macs ;)