Sound Not Working After Upgrade to Snowleopard

Concha

6 posts in this topic

After upgrading an existing Leopard installation to Snow Leopard my volume button is greyed out and my sound card will not be detected.

001zb.png

It worked once after rebooting but remains inactive now. I tried installing the kexts that worked before but nothing seems to make a difference. I, initially, had problems with my WiFi and battery but that seems fine now.

I only installed fakesmc, a ps2 driver, wifi driver and audio driver when I upgraded, is there something I'm missing?

The audio chip is one of the Realtek AC'97 variety.

Updating Leopard to Snow Leopard makes using the old kexts impossible (in most cases). So you need to learn what chip exactly you have and look for drivers for it. If it was active for a while, then you can try repairing the permissions, but i don't know if this will work. Also you can try to take kext from Leopard (if you have Time Machine or something like that) and replace the existing with it. (if you don't have Time Machine, try to find you kext somewhere), but this method probably won't work and may even cause a kernel panic, so try it at your risk. (or find some LiveDVD working with HFS+ volumes)

Updating Leopard to Snow Leopard makes using the old kexts impossible (in most cases). So you need to learn what chip exactly you have and look for drivers for it. If it was active for a while, then you can try repairing the permissions, but i don't know if this will work. Also you can try to take kext from Leopard (if you have Time Machine or something like that) and replace the existing with it. (if you don't have Time Machine, try to find you kext somewhere), but this method probably won't work and may even cause a kernel panic, so try it at your risk. (or find some LiveDVD working with HFS+ volumes)

Thanks for replying, I figured it might be something like that until a moment ago when I booted my Windows partition and the same thing happened. Could this be a problem caused by my bootloader?

Thanks for replying, I figured it might be something like that until a moment ago when I booted my Windows partition and the same thing happened. Could this be a problem caused by my bootloader?

When updating to 10.6.5, loss of audio and USB functionality seem to be the main issues.........fortunately, both are fixable by rolling back to pre-10.6.5 AppleHDA and IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorageClass kexts in my case........i.e. back to 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext and the 10.6.4 IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorageClass kexts........

When updating to 10.6.5, loss of audio and USB functionality seem to be the main issues.........fortunately, both are fixable by rolling back to pre-10.6.5 AppleHDA and IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorageClass kexts in my case........i.e. back to 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext and the 10.6.4 IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorageClass kexts........

Where can I find a copy of this kext? Can I lift one from a 10.5.8 install?

Necronaut

You can try it at your own risk, but i'm almost sure it won't work. And if you will, find something working with HFS+ volumes (read/write) in order to roll your kext back if the experiment fails. Or try to work with single mode (-s boot flag) Otherwise you'll have to restore the whole system. (cause kernel panic is very possible)

And if you want to try 10.6.4 kexts versions or before, try to unpack the combo update found at apple.com with Pacifist and simply extract the needed kext from it.

Combo Update to version 10.6.4

Combo Update to version 10.6.2