Me and 10.6.5=Fail

MrDJ

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I successfully installed Hazard's 10.6.2 on my computer. Everything works great. I went to upgrade to 10.6.5 and have been unsuccessful with rebooting. This is what I did, as well as troubleshooting.

1. Made copies of all of the kext files and put them in a folder.

2. Ran the combo update dmg file provided by apple.

3. Rebooted

Computer reboots, chameleon boots and then I have the apple logo. Hard drive light is solid for about 30 seconds, and then nothing.

Booted -v, -s, -x, and -f, and recovery=y and arch=i386 ALL gave me a blank screen.

I booted into windows and installed Pirate EFI X version 3. When I selected my OSX partition I WAS able to boot into it with recovery=y.

I have given up and since I had nothing installed I re-wiped my hard drive and re-installed 10.6.2.

I would love any ideas of other troubleshooting or things I can do before I make the attempt again.

Thanks!

Hardware:

Motherboard GA M61p S3

Graphics: Nvidia 8400gs 512 meg

AMD 2.1 I think Sempron, I will double-check next time I am in windows and will edit the post.

The first thing coming to my head is that you have an AMD processor, but MacOS supports only INTEL by default. Look here. Maybe that will help? And by the way installing updates on non-retail versions always gives problems. So you'd better look for and original DVD and install it as written in my link.

As an AMD user you're using a patched kernel. If you don't rename your patched kernel to something other than mach_kernel, it will get overwritten by the updater and you can no longer boot.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1590470

Of course I can't say if this is the issue you're having but it's worth investigating.

As an AMD user you're using a patched kernel. If you don't rename your patched kernel to something other than mach_kernel, it will get overwritten by the updater and you can no longer boot.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1590470

Of course I can't say if this is the issue you're having but it's worth investigating.

Had the same issue as OP, this fixed it for me perfectly. Thanks a ton!

No Dice, renamed the kernel and then renamed it back still no boot. this time I do get messages about a kernel panic when I do a -v. I am not sure how to make a log file to show you what the panic says. Maybe I will upload a pic

Here is what I see with my panic:

2010-12-05_15-30-45_895.jpg

2010-12-05_15-30-26_485.jpg

Did that, I was able to get further. When booting in -v I get a bunch of code and then it goes to a black screen. I question if the computer thinks I have successfully booted in.

I tried some tinkering with a couple of different kernels like this one:

http://prasys.info/2010/11/10-6-5-legacy-k...-for-amd-users/

and all give me the same black screen.

I still can successfully boot with Parate EFI's boot cd and using flag recovery=y