Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Upgrading the Hackintosh!

3 posts in this topic

Hey Guys! After Christmas I will have a good chunk of change for upgrading my computer. I have Dual monitors, but with my 4650 I can't use both. Since the iMac has a Radeon 4670 are they compatible without any modifications or enablers? Can I boot in the full res of my monitors? On top of not being able to use dual monitors I have had trouble with things that I think might be gfx card related. Like, Safari crashes during the "Welcome to Safari" animation. Also, iMovie crashes when I try to export anything (even a small mp4 video). I also have problems with screen recording in QuickTime X, because I can't export in the full resolution of my screen it goes to resolution like "700x576". As to the RAM, can I use all 8GB in 10.6.5 because I have read that it doesn't work with more than 4GB in a hackintosh. Also, is the fact that osx detects my RAM as DDR3 instead of DDR2 bad?

P.S. When I use the iStat Pro widget under 10.6.2 it double panics and I have to restart. Is this because of my AMD processor?

Current Specs:

Hazard Snow Leopard 10.6.2/Windows 7 Ultimate x86

AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE @2.8GHz

4GB G.Skill 1066MHz DDR2 RAM

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4650 512MB (QE/CE, but no dual displays with dev id added to kexts)

Future Specs:

Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.5 (Hazard 10.6.2 + 10.6.5 Combo Update and 10.6.4 Legacy Kernel)

AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE @2.8GHz

8GB (2x4GB) 1066MHz DDR2 RAM

XFX ATI Radeon HD 4670 1GB