Building Hackintosh NAS... hardware advice please?

casemon

3 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Have been research & researching and still not 100% on which hardware is going to work best for building a hackintosh NAS.

Writing here to ask for advice, but first here's a basic list of needs:

• hdmi out with audio
  • wifi n
  • min 4 SATA connectors & drive bays
  • miniITX form factor
  • low power
  • smaller=better

Before you start thinking these are conflicting objectives, just want to get as close as possible.

Video doesn't need to be superpowerful, but would be nice if it did 1080p without a hitch. Mostly will just be using this to serve itunes library to AppleTV; tho having HDMI & optical helps to future proof.

So far, am thinking this:

Feel like i'm taking "the long route" just to serve up iTunes so if anyone knows of a simpler hardware configuration for getting 4 bay RAID serving up an iTunes library, please chime in! Have seen some NAS boxes advertise iTunes server support, but they all seem to rely on OSS Firefly which doesn't support latest iTunes at all. So unless that's changed, they wouldn't serve my needs.

Any advice? Way off base? Better options?

Thanks!

40 views & NO replies? ;)

Hey all,

Have been research & researching and still not 100% on which hardware is going to work best for building a hackintosh NAS.

Writing here to ask for advice, but first here's a basic list of needs:

• hdmi out with audio
  • wifi n
  • min 4 SATA connectors & drive bays
  • miniITX form factor
  • low power
  • smaller=better

Before you start thinking these are conflicting objectives, just want to get as close as possible.

Video doesn't need to be superpowerful, but would be nice if it did 1080p without a hitch. Mostly will just be using this to serve itunes library to AppleTV; tho having HDMI & optical helps to future proof.

So far, am thinking this:

Feel like i'm taking "the long route" just to serve up iTunes so if anyone knows of a simpler hardware configuration for getting 4 bay RAID serving up an iTunes library, please chime in! Have seen some NAS boxes advertise iTunes server support, but they all seem to rely on OSS Firefly which doesn't support latest iTunes at all. So unless that's changed, they wouldn't serve my needs.

Any advice? Way off base? Better options?

Thanks!

do you need sleep/wake? or is going to be running 24/7? lots of folks running the ZOTAC IONITX successfully. I'm running a headless Intel 945GCLF2 - only issue is that I had to add a PCI SATA card to get > 2 SATA drives supported.