keeps rebooting after grey apple startup screen

lummox

16 posts in this topic

has anybody experienced this problem: i installed osx86 (the patched tiger-x86-flag.img) native on my averatec 6360 (www.averatec.com) notebook (pentium m 1.6 ghz, ss2) via several of the described methods (ubuntu, dd for windows). it runs perfectly (though quite sluggish, naturally) from the .img-file in vmware, but keeps rebooting after it starts showing the grey apple bootup screen when i try to run it native on my notebook.

any ideas?

has anybody experienced this problem: i installed osx86 (the patched tiger-x86-flag.img) native on my averatec 6360 (www.averatec.com) notebook (pentium m 1.6 ghz, ss2) via several of the described methods (ubuntu, dd for windows). it runs perfectly (though quite sluggish, naturally) from the .img-file in vmware, but keeps rebooting after it starts showing the grey apple bootup screen when i try to run it native on my notebook.

any ideas?

Could be any number of things, that's part of the problem of installing an operating system that has never had to worry about any hardware compability issues besides it's own brand's.

Try booting in safe mode? Also, are you dual booting from your laptop?

tried safe mode (-x -v, several other parameters just to give thema try), no, not dual booting. wiped my system twice so far... i dave tried the vmware install before i dared venturing into native install. is there a difference between the "tiger-x86-flat.img" which i downloaded pretty early and the "tiger-x86.img" floating around p2p-sites at the moment? (both in the "patched vmware files")

I've been having exactly the same problem. Originally I kept thinking it had something to do with the SSE3 patch and I think that's been confirmed because if I boot using the -x -v switches I can see that it gets as far as:

*** Checking Catalog File

hfs_swap: ~~~~~~~~~~
CPU Halted

lummox, just to make sure we're both on the same page, when I ran the img file I have in VMware there wasn't a password on the account but I know there's one file doing the rounds that is password protected. Is that the same for you?

I have a SSE3 patch file but it's for a ISO, is there anyway to patch the img file??

Cheers.

I've got the same problem.

I'm triple booting between XP Pro / Ubuntu / OSX

I'm using a 3GHz Pentium 4 / 2 GB RAM / Radeon 9800 Pro

The strange thing is, when booting with -v I get the "cpu halted" message and the system immediately shuts off. However, if I boot without -v [-x or -x and the platform command] my computer sounds as though it has shut off at the same point, but the wheel keeps spinning. The computer sounds as though it has powered down [hdd spins down, fans turn off], yet it keeps going and my CD drives will open and close.

Does anybody have a solution to this?

EDIT: I'm using deadmoo's image

sorry, was off for some time: i also have the vmware image file WITHOUT password. at the moment i'm trying to download the (hopefully) other version (?) of the vmware img.

this weekend i tried the new install method (see wiki) on a free partition instead of a physical disk. no luck either...

having read the topic mentioned by synth_addict (http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=257) i suspect my graphics card (ati mobility radeon 9600 256mb) might be the piece of hardware causing all the trouble.

i keep hoping for success with that other image, though.

i (wrongly) thought that there were two versions of the tiger-x86-flat.img since after dd-ing it to my harddisk and using it inside vmware i didn't get any password request at boot (deadmoo/bovinity etc.)

still haven't figured out, what my problem is: under vmware, osx runs absolutely ok from a primary partition on my harddisk, i got the improved oah750 and the other maxxuss-patches to run, so itunes and even photoshop cs run (though a little bit more sluggish even than the rest of the os) on my sse2-only notebook (averatec 6360, see averatec.com for specs). since i have an ati mobility radeon 9700 in my notebook, i erased all the ati-related kexts, plus the TPM-related kexts, i even went so far as to upgrade darwin from 8.0.1 to 8.1.0 under vmware, but still: when i try to boot NATIVE from that partition (set it to active from the ubuntu-linux-live-cd), even in safe mode (-x) it only gets to a certain point and then reboots without me interfering. in verbose mode (-v), the last message it seems to throw out before rebooting (not 100% sure since it pops out so fast, i can't take screenshots during bootup, but tried to memorize and even film it ;-) -- then looked for the same line in the bootup sequence under vmware) is:

Aug 22 06:34:51 kextd(27): registering service "com.apple.KernelExtensionServer"
Resetting IOCatalogue
Matching service count = 2
Aug 22 06:34:52 kext(27): 332 cached, 0 uncached personalities to catalog

strange. any further ideas, anybody? and thanks for the posts so far!

i'll add the vmware screenshot of that part of the boot sequence (i hope) with the last line visible in native boot highlighted:

post-2786-1124713121_thumb.jpg

Hi, i had this problem, it stopped at cpu halted, and at the 3rd time i was installing i remembered i forgot at creating new partition with diskpart to give it the size of 6660Mb size, i did all again with that and now it works fine............

DISKPART> create partition primary size=6660 id=af

hope it helps

@ csx: did you mean that i have to set the size of the partition to exactly 6660 mb?

i have a windows xp install on my notebook i wanted to keep. so i installed osx like this:

reduced my main (primary xp) partition to obtain about 8 gigs of unallocated space on my (physical) harddisk.

then restarted my pc and booted via the ubuntu live cd.

in ubuntu, i created an 8 gig primary partition with cfdisk, set it to active (bootable), set its format manually to "AF", as described in various install guides, here, for example: , http://www.shuddertrix.90megs.com/wiki/ind...le_And_Accurate

then put the tiger-x86-flat.img on the partition via dd (dd if=tiger-x86-flat.img of=/dev/hda2 bs=512 skip=63)

with that, theoretically, i should be able to boot to osx natively. however, until now i can only use that osx install under vmware.

i can physically turn off my wireless card and will try to disable usb in the bios to further reduce possible collisions. no luck so far...

funny thing: neither windows nor macdrive (http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/) see my osx partition, but vmware does and boots from it.

@ csx: did you mean that i have to set the size of the partition to exactly 6660 mb?

i have a windows xp install on my notebook i wanted to keep. so i installed osx like this:

reduced my main (primary xp) partition to obtain about 8 gigs of unallocated space on my (physical) harddisk.

then restarted my pc and booted via the ubuntu live cd.

in ubuntu, i created an 8 gig primary partition with cfdisk, set it to active (bootable), set its format manually to "AF", as described in various install guides, here, for example:  , http://www.shuddertrix.90megs.com/wiki/ind...le_And_Accurate

then put the tiger-x86-flat.img on the partition via dd (dd if=tiger-x86-flat.img of=/dev/hda2 bs=512 skip=63)

with that, theoretically, i should be able to boot to osx natively. however, until now i can only use that osx install under vmware.

i can physically turn off my wireless card and will try to disable usb in the bios to further reduce possible collisions. no luck so far...

funny thing: neither windows nor macdrive (http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/) see my osx partition, but vmware does and boots from it.

Hi, i've created the disk partition with diskpart from windows, i've left a 8gig partition free, but created only a 6660Mb partition, u can follow my method in here: OSX Dual Boot From windows method

I've followed points 1.2 / 2.1 / 3.3

c-a

@csx: last night i've given it another try, this time following points 1.2 etc. of the dual boot from windows method. dunno: now it doesn't reboot all on its own but stalls completely looking for an IOATA kext. i think this might be some sort of "success"... ;-)

those (IOATA kexts) are the hd drivers, aren't they?

oh, using the os x partition in vmware is now more consistent with my native user experience: it hangs on the same line (but boots into single user mode with -s)...

oh well.