ivik

674 posts in this topic

Do you have max brightness 0 in ioreg?

yes the max and min are all 0

here is my ioreg

post-147052-1289912579_thumb.png

and use your kext dmesg give me this info

Acpi brightness levels:11, lowest brightness:5, highest brightness:100 

We still don't have brightness entry in ioreg... waiting...

Then osx messes with brightness after wakeup. Maybe your injector values are wrong. Try removing AAPL,BacklightRestore and see if anything changes or change to zero all values.

@maczx try changing some injector values with backlight. Maybe then max brightness changes. Or try loading nvidia rom for your grahics.

Then osx messes with brightness after wakeup. Maybe your injector values are wrong. Try removing AAPL,BacklightRestore and see if anything changes or change to zero all values.

I think what happens is that osx restore it's own brightness value after sleep and your kext does not correct it. After you press bright up/down the brightness is fine again. Anyway, I can live with it. Thanx for your work!

@maczx try changing some injector values with backlight. Maybe then max brightness changes. Or try loading nvidia rom for your grahics.

as u say i try use rom but no change

what card is yours? mine is gt240m

the best situation is the SUN icon and the bar .but backlight didnot change when i press fn+Pause and fn+ScorLk ,the bar always goes to 100%

here is my modfied dsdt any suggestion?

dsdt.zip

Yeah... this is becase it cant move, min/max=0.

I have intel gma 950.

Look for chamelon info on how to load original apple rom. Maybe osx from there reads min/max values. I just read them from ioreg.

Hm... maybe i could write some menu plugin for people who's values are zero.

@ivik

With your last kext (not from 1 page) nothing change, slider doesn't move.

In console i see We still ... ioreg, values in ioreg are 0x0.

I run RW Everything under windows and my brightness code are (from lowest): 45,4F,56,6E,8E,AE,CF,FF.

Here is screenshot from RW-E with checked whitch one values moves:

1zr1dsg.png

Maybe is something still wrong in my dsdt, I cant find "LEVL" words :D

Thank you very much.

Ps. Is "more vanilla" using VoodooPs2 kext or ApplePs2...? (Im under 64bit)

Working more or less fine on Lenovo S12-GMA950 - some issues with number of steps and max-brightness occurring before full 16 blobs, but figure that's just DSDT needing additional work as only 11 steps defined in std DSDT.

Is OK after sleep.

Kind of just annoying that so far seem to need your nice kext to get backlight controllable under OSX (so am really happy that you made it!!)

On S9e worked OK with just DSDT changes. So, I guess ultimately would like to find DSDT-only solution to avoid the 1sec delay, and to get backlight to be off on zero sun-blobs, but for now am happy :P

Working more or less fine on Lenovo S12-GMA950 - some issues with number of steps and max-brightness occurring before full 16 blobs, but figure that's just DSDT needing additional work as only 11 steps defined in std DSDT.

Is OK after sleep.

Kind of just annoying that so far seem to need your nice kext to get backlight controllable under OSX (so am really happy that you made it!!)

On S9e worked OK with just DSDT changes. So, I guess ultimately would like to find DSDT-only solution to avoid the 1sec delay, and to get backlight to be off on zero sun-blobs, but for now am happy ;)

What is max brightness on your gma from ioreg? 80 here.

Maybe you could play with rw-everything under win. EC controlls your brightness (BNAC or BNDC).

I have some lower brightness settings that original.

Yeah... this is becase it cant move, min/max=0.

I have intel gma 950.

Look for chamelon info on how to load original apple rom. Maybe osx from there reads min/max values. I just read them from ioreg.

Hm... maybe i could write some menu plugin for people who's values are zero.

ye

i have already use 'GraphicsEnabler' to driver the graphic card .and i tried 'UseNvidiaROM' flag also. at the same time i deleted 'PEGP' from dsdt,but no go!

if i do not driver the card ,the brightness couled be contralled with origianl keys fn+up/down,but no SUN no bar. once the card was drivered,brightness goes away.

What is your hardware brightness status when osx starts? Can you change brightness before login (on boot)?

yes

before login i could change brightness .and when osx come back from sleep the brightness go to the max, the brightest.

What about when you dont load my driver? Do your hardware brightness keys work?

thx reply

Whether load your driver or not , the situation is the same: bar appears but still 100%,SUN appears when i press fn+Pause/SorLk ,in ioreg max and min are 0 aways.

when i load your driver manual ,dmesg gives me below info

"

Acpi brightness levels:11, lowest brightness:5, highest brightness:100

We still don't have brightness entry in ioreg... waiting..."

Yes... but do your native hardware keyboard brightness keys work without my driver?

native keys are fn+up/down ,but they dont work.

pressing fn+Pause/ScrLk could call SUN icon .

did you see my modified dsdt?

thx

What is max brightness on your gma from ioreg? 80 here.

Maybe you could play with rw-everything under win. EC controlls your brightness (BNAC or BNDC).

I have some lower brightness settings that original.

Alas hosed WinXP from the machine and it's a pain to swop out the HD to get XP one in (remove KBD etc) to try.

But, aha...I see in IOReg strange number for Max Brightness:

0x2040800000128

Wondering if that's related to the first numbers. I'd presumed they were telling EC some startup setting or something, so left as they were.

Kernel log message from your kext shows min 0 max 100.

Have now added extra levels to DSDT (there were 11, now 16) inc lower settings:

Name (BCLP, Package (0x12)	//Was 0x0D
{
	0x64, 
	0x3C,
	0x00,	//1	New
	0x06,	//2	New
	0x0c,			//3
	0x12, 	//4
	0x18, 	//5
	0x1e, 	//6
	0x24, 	//7
	0x2a, 	//8
	0x30, 	//9
	0x36, 	//10
	0x3c, 	//11
	0x42, 	//12
	0x48,	//13
	0x4e,	//14
	0x54,	//15
	0x64		   //16
})
/*
Name (BCLP, Package (0x0D)	//Original
{
	0x64, 
	0x3C,
	0x14,	//1
	0x1C, 	//2
	0x24, 	//3
	0x2C, 	//4
	0x34, 	//5
	0x3C, 	//6
	0x44, 	//7
	0x4C, 	//8
	0x54, 	//9
	0x5C, 	//10
	0x64			//11
})
*/

But still won't turn off display backlight via 'sun' control. Although "backlight off" via Expose Put Display to Sleep works OK.

Also, made edit to PNLF as follows, didn't try without this bit as presumed was related to reading EC register value from looking at the other stuff in the DSDT. Perhaps will have a play around with changes...:

Device (PNLF)
	{
		Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))
		Name (_CID, "backlight")
		Name (_UID, 0x0A)
		Name (_STA, 0x0B)
		Method (BRGE, 1, Serialized)				
		{											
			Store (Arg0, \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC0.BNCM)		// Change BRTS to BNCM
			Return (\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC0.BNCM)			//  BRTS to BNCM
		}

OMG... You got it all wrong...

Just copy your's _BCL and _BCM methods. Methods on first page are mine, just for example how to do it.

Duh. :angel::D Silly Me.

Perhaps amazing it even worked at all !!

But, still same results when I do it "right" (drop BRGE, BQC & even just standard levels in BCLP).

But like some others, still can't get to spread the full range across 16 steps. Although I did manage to make it so that each step results in a physical change, just runs out of steam after around 11 steps, even though more left.

Did some investigating using Reggie_SE per your notes some pages back, and found range of backlight value at address BAR0 (0xFC000000 for me) +Offset0x61254 is indeed 0x0128000 to 0x01280128. And is linear in that at half of sun-blobs (8) it shows 00094. So guess it's all down to limitation of an EC or something...guess I may just have to load up that XP drive and see what's going on.

Anyway, just gotta fix the keyboard controller to avoid needing the Prasys's port of (buggy in 10.6x) FunctionFlip to map backlight control to F1,F2.

Anyway. Still am pretty happy with it. Thanks again.