Having issues with learning Root Access

Jbbrack03

5 posts in this topic

I'm trying to find my "Extra" folder from installing Chameleon RC4. I see that it's supposed to be in the root. How do I get to the root? I'm running 10.6.4 OSX.

Dont know about you but my folder is located like this in terminal:

cd /Mac/Extra

Mac is the name of my partition with OSX on it... u can easy of course just click the desktop, look at the top statusbar and then press go... press computer then u will see the Extra folder...

Open terminal type: cd

then drag and drop the Extra folder into terminal...

I'm trying to find my "Extra" folder from installing Chameleon RC4. I see that it's supposed to be in the root. How do I get to the root? I'm running 10.6.4 OSX.

Two ways using finder double click on the icon for your drive if on the desktop when it opens it will be showing you the / of your install otherwise open finder if no drives on desktop then select your drive from there same view will be shown. Second go to Applications then Utilities folder to open the Terminal.app type in then enter cd / and you will be in your root directory to see the contents ls -l will show you it in long form use just plain ls for short listing.

Ok guys. There's no Extra Folder using any of those methods. I ran the Chameleon 2.0 RC4 r684 pkg installer and it said that the installation was successful. When I rebooted, I got the normal looking Darwin boot screen, but it said Chameleon RC4 in the upper left corner. What did I do wrong?

EDIT: Ok, something is weird. I just installed a Windows Program with Wine. When I was in the windows program, I went to browse my computer for a file, and the root files all showed up. I could see the Extra Folder as well as the volume folder and several others. So the files are here. I'm lost as far as how to get to them though... I just need to copy one file to the Extra folder and I'm done.

Ok guys. There's no Extra Folder using any of those methods. I ran the Chameleon 2.0 RC4 r684 pkg installer and it said that the installation was successful. When I rebooted, I got the normal looking Darwin boot screen, but it said Chameleon RC4 in the upper left corner. What did I do wrong?

Nothing it may be that you have the /Extra folder installed into its own partition as some of these loaders do.

EDIT: Ok, something is weird. I just installed a Windows Program with Wine. When I was in the windows program, I went to browse my computer for a file, and the root files all showed up. I could see the Extra Folder as well as the volume folder and several others. So the files are here. I'm lost as far as how to get to them though... I just need to copy one file to the Extra folder and I'm done.

Can you post the output of the the diskutil list and ls -l / commands in the Terminal.app? If that one file is a .kext file then you will need to rebuild the .kext cache file to have it recognized by the system then you would be done.