BIOSTAR A770E3 - Mostly working MacPro!

mgayle4

9 posts in this topic

Biostar A770E3

Athlon II X3 435

2 gigs DDR3 ram

500 GB Hitachi SATA HD in AHCI mode.

XFX Radeon HD4650 1 gig (not all ram recognized) ALL RAM RECOGNIZED!

After MANY hours and MANY variations, I have successfully completed my build. WOW, what a feeling it was to see and hear FrontRow playing movie trailers in surround sound!

I am (obviously) new to this arena, and will attempt to reconstruct the steps of my build so that a more thorough walkthrough can be posted.

Other users with this motherboard please let me know who you are.

GENERAL SETUP:

I used Hazard Client/Server 10.6.2 disk but did not install server, and as I recall I selected blackknight kernel and the AMD Patch/Bootloader option. I found this to be the only distro I could boot and install successfully.

Next I installed the 10.6.4 Combo update, then before I rebooted I installed the new legacy kernel.

I have a Radeon HD4650, and had to search for many hours to get this card working. I had to change some kexts back to 10.6.2 versions and change my bootloader which finally gave me QE/CI.

I know this information is woefully incomplete, but I wanted to give hope to other users of this mobo. Hang in there... communicate with me via this thread or PM and I will do everything I can to help you get your system up and running.

MG

P.S. I changed topic title to "Mostly" working because my shutdown hangs for some reason, and I have no clue about sleep. If and when I find other issues I will post them here and perhaps we can work them out together.

Hello..A770E3 here

Full working Mac Pro Snow Leopard 10.6.4 also..

AMD Athlon™ II X4 620

BIOSTAR A770E3 Mother Board

Crosair 4GB DDR3 1333

PNY Geforece 9800GT 1024MB GDDR3

2-WD 500GB 1-WD 250GB SATA

Samsung Dual screen 24'

Audio ACL662 VoodooHDA 2.6.2

Lnx2Mac Realtek ethernet driver

post-235052-1287689124_thumb.png

Biostar A770E3

Athlon II X3 435

2 gigs DDR3 ram

After MANY hours and MANY variations, I have successfully completed my build. WOW, what a feeling it was to see and hear FrontRow playing movie trailers in surround sound!

I am (obviously) new to this arena, and will attempt to reconstruct the steps of my build so that a more thorough walkthrough can be posted.

GENERAL SETUP:

I used Hazard Client/Server 10.6.2 disk but did not install server, and as I recall I selected blackknight kernel and the AMD Patch/Bootloader option. I found this to be the only distro I could boot and install successfully.

Next I installed the 10.6.4 Combo update, then before I rebooted I installed the new legacy kernel.

I have a Radeon HD4650, and had to search for many hours to get this card working. I had to change some kexts back to 10.6.2 versions and change my bootloader which finally gave me QE/CI.

I know this information is woefully incomplete, but I wanted to give hope to other users of this mobo. Hang in there... communicate with me via this thread or PM and I will do everything I can to help you get your system up and running.

MG

P.S. I changed topic title to "Mostly" working because my shutdown hangs for some reason, and I have no clue about sleep. If and when I find other issues I will post them here and perhaps we can work them out together.

try sleepenabler kexts working fine with me..

kexts.zip

Wonderful... great to hear from you. I am not certain if changing ethernet kexts would help me. Are you having issues with your shutdown? I have sleep enabler enabled, and the screen will go blank if i click sleep... but using a wireless USB windows keyboard i don't know how to get the darn thing to awaken. If you have any insight I'd appreciate hearing it.

Which install method did you use? (In case I decide to to attempt a new installation with different settings.)

MG.

P.S. What method did you use to enable your audio? I saw no audio kext in that zip.

P.P.S. Heh... lots of questions... did you have to patch DSDT... and if so will you upload you DSDT.aml?

voodoo HDA make some loud clicking sounds when computer boot up..

so i change to apple Azalia audio..

also overclock at 3.25 GHz Full mode temp 40* wanna overclock more..

here is my all kext in extra folder..

also running Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r619.pkg works fine with me..

everything running very stable now..

Extra.zip

voodoo HDA make some loud clicking sounds when computer boot up..

so i change to apple Azalia audio..

also overclock at 3.25 GHz Full mode temp 40* wanna overclock more..

here is my all kext in extra folder..

also running Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r619.pkg works fine with me..

everything running very stable now..

Extra.zip

what process did you use to setup azalia audio? i have been unable to get it working.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Biostar A770E3

Athlon II X3 435

2 gigs DDR3 ram

GENERAL SETUP:

MG

I have the same motherboard and I followed all your configs but osx doesnt see my sata drive. Can you/someone please help me?

• 4 months later...
I have the same motherboard and I followed all your configs but osx doesnt see my sata drive. Can you/someone please help me?

I used the Hazard Client/Server 10.6.2 disk and it didn't work It wouldnt get past where it said "loading damoen" when the thing spins in text. I used:

SNOWLEO MAC Snow Leopard OSX86_64 For INTEL/AMD 32/64 MBR/GUID

And got as far as: unable to Mount /dev/disk1s1 (statuscode 0x00000047). I almost thought it was going to boot into the installer, almost though. I am trying to install it in a IDE HDD, so I am guessing it may be detecting my SATA drives on booting the instalation disk, I'll try unplugging my sata drives and leaving the ide one connect to see if it boots properly.

My specifications are: Biostar A770E3

16GB's RAM

AMD Phenom X6 1100T

GTX 260

150GB HDD

My other HDD's are bigger, both being a Kingston SSD 64GB (for windows 7) and my media being 1TB. Anyone that has a fix or a success story please reply to this thread.

My latest error on attempting to bott off the distro mentioned above is:

"still waiting on root device"

after trying to disconnect all SATA drives leaving just the unallocated drive plugged in. This has got to be possible though, we just got to keep fighting it.