Mac or Hackintosh?

InfiniteFool

15 posts in this topic

So I'm technically not a new user, but it's been a couple years since I've posted, so I figure I'm in pretty much the same position as a new user.

I'm thinking about getting a new laptop, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what kind to get. Currently I have a 2008 Macbook (4,1 model). Whatever computer I get, I really want to run OS X. I hate Windows (for obvious reasons), and while I kind of like Ubuntu, it doesn't have all the software I need. I'm leaning towards getting another Mac because it's guaranteed that all the hardware will work on it, and you can install updates.

On the other hand, PCs are much cheaper and faster. I haven't really followed the Hackintosh scene for the past couple of years, but the last time I tried to do it I ran into all sorts of problems. At the time you couldn't install updates either, I don't know if that's changed.

So my question is this: has Hackintoshing advanced to the point where it's relatively reliable and easy to perform? Or is it worth getting a proper Mac so I don't have to deal with all of that?

If you are buying a PC with the express purpose of installing MacOSX on it then its definitely reliable assuming you pre-check the PC you buy to be compatible. I can't recommend which since I've only built one but there are tons of resources out there. Its going to limit the way you shop and take some time though ... so its really time vs money :wacko:

Let us know which way you swing :wacko:

-[g]

I tried to do it I ran into all sorts of problems. At the time you couldn't install updates either, I don't know if that's changed.

It has changed, quite drastically. Today you can install an original retail OSX DVD on a compatible PC hardware, and installing updates isn't a problem anymore.

It has changed, quite drastically. Today you can install an original retail OSX DVD on a compatible PC hardware, and installing updates isn't a problem anymore.

So, regarding computers that are "compatible," do people experience relatively few problems?

A MacBook (not a MacBook Pro) is one of their best deals. One can't really say it is overpriced, maybe only slightly.

I have a Macbook already, and the white Macbooks that are on sale now are pretty much identical to mine, except for the video card. If I were to get a MBP I'd probably get one of the 15" models. Of course, those models are quite expensive compared to PCs with similar hardware.

Laptops can be a little bit more problematic sometimes.

Since this project started, I have bought 2 laptops. I still have them both. I have given up on running OS X on them, WI-FI, webcams and similar quite often do not have a working driver.

IMO, the proper way to run OS X on a PC is to build a desktop with perfectly compatible hardware.

If I were to get a MBP I'd probably get one of the 15" models. Of course, those models are quite expensive compared to PCs with similar hardware.

Unfortunately yes. I bought my latest laptop (in my sig) for 999 Euro (special offer).

It has specs similar to those of a 17" MBP, which costs around 2500 Euro!

Since this project started, I have bought 2 laptops. I still have them both. I have given up on running OS X on them, WI-FI, webcams and similar quite often do not have a working driver.

IMO, the proper way to run OS X on a PC is to build a desktop with perfectly compatible hardware.

Unfortunately that won't work for me. I need my computer to be portable. Even if the majority of them aren't, surely there must be some laptops out there that are 100% compatible, right?

I don't know. I guess I could always try to install OS X and failing that I could install Ubuntu or something.

If you were building a desktop, I think a hackintosh would be a good choice. The mac desktops don't offer that much value, given the higher price you pay for mac hardware. The bottom line is that once the hardware is up and running on a desktop, you don't actually interact with it all that much. The interaction experience of a mac pro case vs. a hack pro only comes into play on the few occasions you need to open up the case. Otherwise you're using the mouse, keyboard and monitor.

However, because you're considering a laptop, I'd actually recommend you spring for the apple hardware. The macbook pro's are so well made, and such a pleasure to use, that any PC hardware you buy pales in comparison. When you use a laptop, you interact with the entire hardware platform every time you use it. The weight of it, feel of it, and the way the part move all matter. Apple does a great job with all of this, and you won't regret a macbook pro purchase. I specifically recommend the 13". It's a great price point, and a beautiful machine.

I would consider getting a 13 inch model if it were significantly faster than what I already have (2008 white Macbook), but it's not. The only major internal differences between the 13 inch Macbook Pro and my Macbook are increased memory (I could upgrade mine if that were an issue) and a better videocard. They both have the exact same processor. Of course the MBP is a little prettier, but that's not really that important. The fact that Apple is selling essentially the same hardware 2 years later for more than the original price is a disgrace.