Trouble with X1600 XT- Boris fix doesn't work!

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys- I have a Sapphire X1600 XT- 256MB PCI-Express- and I tried the Boris Badenov fix- and all it did was destroy my install- the top 1/3rd of the screen was blue and then the rest was just a mess- completely mangled. I figured I must have screwed something up, so I formatted, reinstalled OS X, and tried the automated installer- same deal- killed my setup...am I doing something wrong- or is there an alternative implementation of the Badenov method that I could try?? I am a bit of a noob but I know I am doing everything right...help??

Hey guys- I have a Sapphire X1600 XT- 256MB PCI-Express- and I tried the Boris Badenov fix- and all it did was destroy my install-

You are not alone in having problems with the x1600xt. I have the tv-out version of the asus eax1600xt and haven't been able to get it to work either.

Have you tried the boris method manually (i.e. without NeoPheus' installer)? It's in the Genius Bar section.

NeoPheus' installer is a great thing for some, I'm sure, but the lack of stderr output and general documentation is a problem.

i too had NO luck whatsoever with the asus eax1600xt silent. i think i'm going to 'ebay' mine here in a few days.

i switched to the sapphire card (actually I bought both cards in case i hit the snag that i did and boy am i glad i did that). the sapphire card (after boris's method) works now, minus sleep and DVI out...oh thank god!! :D

it's almost as though the asus card could eventually work but i don't know how or where to go to get the thing to work but didn't wanna spend the time on it either. it works with VESA 3.0 as a QE/CI card but once boris's method is in...nothing, they disappear. what a bummer. :D

as for your sapphire card, one thing i've noticed is that the case sensitivity issue can bite ya here. boris pm'ed this to me and i think that saved my 'hack' from being all fubar'ed. the 'c' character in your hack should be lowercase (as it appears in the sys. profiler). one upper case character and you might have issues.

i know mine works now and until the next FULLY supported card comes around or is discovered...i'm convinced that the sapphire is your best option. good luck!

You are not alone in having problems with the x1600xt. I have the tv-out version of the asus eax1600xt and haven't been able to get it to work either.

Have you tried the boris method manually (i.e. without NeoPheus' installer)? It's in the Genius Bar section.

NeoPheus' installer is a great thing for some, I'm sure, but the lack of stderr output and general documentation is a problem.

I did try it manually- someone suggested case sensitivity in the vendor and product ID's...I'll try that- as i recall I had it lowercase...but who knows...I'll try it once more..hopefully I don't kill the installation again...

everyone,

I got my card working now! :D

I'm going to post a HOWTO in the genius bar for those of us that were having issues with full acceleration. I now have a 100% fully compatible machine! :D

awesome- just make sure you put the link here!!

Way to go!!

i too had NO luck whatsoever with the asus eax1600xt silent. i think i'm going to 'ebay' mine here in a few days.

i switched to the sapphire card (actually I bought both cards in case i hit the snag that i did and boy am i glad i did that). the sapphire card (after boris's method) works now, minus sleep and DVI out...oh thank god!! :D

it's almost as though the asus card could eventually work but i don't know how or where to go to get the thing to work but didn't wanna spend the time on it either. it works with VESA 3.0 as a QE/CI card but once boris's method is in...nothing, they disappear. what a bummer. :(

as for your sapphire card, one thing i've noticed is that the case sensitivity issue can bite ya here. boris pm'ed this to me and i think that saved my 'hack' from being all fubar'ed. the 'c' character in your hack should be lowercase (as it appears in the sys. profiler). one upper case character and you might have issues.

i know mine works now and until the next FULLY supported card comes around or is discovered...i'm convinced that the sapphire is your best option. good luck!

DVI does work with this method, you need to install osx using a VGA cable from VGA output. Once you have made the mods to the *.kexts and its working, unplug VGA and use DVI, screen will adjust to 1680x1050x32@72 this works great No Tearing,,,,

Thanks