ATi Radeon 9800 drivers?

morphix

11 posts in this topic

hey.

I have an ATi Radeon 9800 Pro AGP with dual monitors (excepts atm its just mirroring on osx)

Anyway, i have been looking through the forums and wiki and am kinda confused.

So far i have seen 2 ways to get ATi drivers, 1 is use Callisto's driver, which has no QE/CI or dual monitor support(which is the only thing i really want), tv out ,etc, etc.

The other is by modifying the ATIRadeon9700 ktext. (thats if that will even work with my card)

I am only really wanting to get a better res (stuck at 1024x768 atm) and to do dual monitor (if possible)

Could someone please guide me in the right directon??

btw, i have the JaS install dvd of 10.4.6

To get a better resolution, you only have to edit the file /Library/Preferences/System Configuration/com.apple.Boot.plist. Open it with TextEdit and add the following:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string> (or choose another resolution)

You only have to make sure u are able to write to the specific folder by setting the user rights correctly for the folder and the file.

Can u tell me how I can modify the kext for the 9700 to make my 9800pro run better? (my OSX now reacts like I'm running it on a pentium 1 :-(. I think because OSX thinks I only have 16Mb VRAM on VESA instead of 128 on AGP).

To get a better resolution, you only have to edit the file /Library/Preferences/System Configuration/com.apple.Boot.plist. Open it with TextEdit and add the following:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string> (or choose another resolution)

When i tried that last time, OSX would lock up during boot (i dont know why).

I want dual monitors on OSX :huh:

Hi Rammjet, since you are a Legend, do you have an idea why my 10.4.3 runs so slow (I can type 6 characters before the first one appears on my screen)? I have tried the speed-up tips of the osx86 wiki without success. (the JaS 10.4.6 doesn't run altogether)

All i want it the graphics to be fast (the speeds atm are ..ok) i want to be able to change resolutions above 1024x768 (graphics mode in Boot.plist make my osx unbootable, just locks up) and have QE/CI (dunno what they are .. but it seems a lot of things need them)

could someone please show me which way works for this card??

So far i have seen 2 ways to get ATi drivers, 1 is use Callisto's driver, which has no QE/CI or dual monitor support(which is the only thing i really want), tv out ,etc, etc.

Actually if you read the installation instruction (including FAQ) you'll see that you can enable QE and CI with Callisto.

But first (before installing Callisto) you have to:

The other is by modifying the ATIRadeon9700 ktext. (thats if that will even work with my card)

So it's not a question of using one or the other but both "methods" are required.

Callisto will give higher res and editing the kext will make OS X recognize your vcard.

As for dual monitor, I have no idea, but I think you can't enable the option on ATI.

btw, i have the JaS install dvd of 10.4.6

And I think you have to use the ATIRadeon9700.kext from 10.4.5 (as JaS 10.4.6 will use the 10.4.6 version of ATI kext which is "unssuported" :thumbsup_anim:).

Actually if you read the installation instruction (including FAQ) you'll see that you can enable QE and CI with Callisto.

But first (before installing Callisto) you have to:

So it's not a question of using one or the other but both "methods" are required.

Callisto will give higher res and editing the kext will make OS X recognize your vcard.

As for dual monitor, I have no idea, but I think you can't enable the option on ATI.

And I think you have to use the ATIRadeon9700.kext from 10.4.5 (as JaS 10.4.6 will use the 10.4.6 version of ATI kext which is "unssuported" :)).

You wouldnt happen to know where i can get a-hold of the 10.4.5 ati kext?