I cannot install any kind of OS X on this AMD computer - please HELP!

jeanpave

7 posts in this topic

Hi.

I'm really desperate because I'm trying to install Mac OS X on my new computer - need to run Final Cut Pro - but absolutely no version I've tried will install.

Here's what I have:

AMD Phenom II

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5

optical drive is IDE Channel 0 Slave

hard-drive is IDE Channel 1 Slave

8 GB RAM DDR3

Windows XP already installed (by me)

ATI Radeon 5700 series

if I enable AHCI in BIOS, everywhere I can (- 3 places), the computer won't read any drives anymore

I've tried:

LawlessPPC-10.5.4 ("root device" error)

iATKOS v7 ("root device" error)

2 versions of Snow Leopard (almost instant reboot in both cases)

iPC 10.5.6

(I think these are all. I even tried a Tiger version, but I really don't want anything older than 10.5.)

Also, I've tried to boot from USB stick, but only iATKOS v7 was small enough to fit on the 4-GB stick I own. No luck.

Of course, USB DVD-ROM did not work for me, either. (some error about "/config boot slist something not found" right away)

I've even attempted using VMWare. I thought it would be better, but it was actually much, much worse. If it doesn't start natively, it won't start in VMWare! Such a waste of time!...

VMWare (6.5.2) is so messed up that, with LawlessPPC, at first I got the "root device" error, and the second time I tried to boot the image I got the stupid "/config... not found" error. (What the hell was up with that?)

Please, can someone tell me what version of OSx86 will work on this computer?

I'd even rather somebody tell me "there is no version that would work" than to keep trying and keep failing...

Thanks in advance, very much.

P.S. This inquiry here is really my last hope!

Hi.

I'm really desperate because I'm trying to install Mac OS X on my new computer - need to run Final Cut Pro - but absolutely no version I've tried will install.

Here's what I have:

AMD Phenom II

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5

optical drive is IDE Channel 0 Slave

hard-drive is IDE Channel 1 Slave

8 GB RAM DDR3

Windows XP already installed (by me)

ATI Radeon 5700 series

if I enable AHCI in BIOS, everywhere I can (- 3 places), the computer won't read any drives anymore

I've tried:

LawlessPPC-10.5.4 ("root device" error)

iATKOS v7 ("root device" error)

2 versions of Snow Leopard (almost instant reboot in both cases)

iPC 10.5.6

(I think these are all. I even tried a Tiger version, but I really don't want anything older than 10.5.)

Also, I've tried to boot from USB stick, but only iATKOS v7 was small enough to fit on the 4-GB stick I own. No luck.

Of course, USB DVD-ROM did not work for me, either. (some error about "/config boot slist something not found" right away)

I've even attempted using VMWare. I thought it would be better, but it was actually much, much worse. If it doesn't start natively, it won't start in VMWare! Such a waste of time!...

VMWare (6.5.2) is so messed up that, with LawlessPPC, at first I got the "root device" error, and the second time I tried to boot the image I got the stupid "/config... not found" error. (What the hell was up with that?)

Please, can someone tell me what version of OSx86 will work on this computer?

I'd even rather somebody tell me "there is no version that would work" than to keep trying and keep failing...

Thanks in advance, very much.

P.S. This inquiry here is really my last hope!

i can't help you with the other stuff.... but what has worked for me so far was to download a pre-configured snow leopard image that works on vmware. from there i was able to make a bootable usb drive to attempt to install from.

there is a version floating around the torrent sites. i dont know how this website feels about torrent links so i'll just say to go to your favorite site and search for vmware mac and you should find it. just download, then drop that file into the folder where your virtual images are normally kept. hope this helps.

Thank you very much, P-Noy and Youngdaddytc.

I'll try your suggestions, and report here on what will happen.

P-Noy, if I may ask, is this ISO the one you meant? - Leopard-10.5.2-AMD-EFI-Rev2?

Oldtopman, will Snow Leopard install if I get Leopard to work and then update, or no?

(I'm probably getting way ahead, but...)

Thanks.

Thank you very much, P-Noy and Youngdaddytc.

I'll try your suggestions, and report here on what will happen.

P-Noy, if I may ask, is this ISO the one you meant? - Leopard-10.5.2-AMD-EFI-Rev2?

jeanpave, not 100% sure, but i think thats the latest version or the Zephyroth version, mine is just the "Leopard-AMD-10.5.1.iso", and since im also starting with this hackintosh, the version I'm using, seems to load from a vmware, Im not sure with the exact term, and It took around 9GB Installation space.

I hope someone can help us with the proper distro. or How to with our setup. We have a similar setup.

There are many people having issues with the Radeon 5700 series cards. It's not impossible to get working but it's pretty hard/difficult, as of what I've heard.

That could be causing the problem. What drivers do you select when you try installing OS X ?