iTunes (9) has "kindly" reorganised my mp3 files for me!

nobbynator

6 posts in this topic

I accidentally checked "Let iTunes organise my library" What an idiot!?!?! I hear you cry.

Now I had lots of lovely folders all nicely organised how I wanted them (Funk & Soul/Dance/Clasical/Mixes etc. and an artist folder with subfolders for full albums...you get the picture...years of work really.)

Basically over 120GB of mp3's have been moved to individual folders and there's now lots of Unkown Album folders, plus anything that was "featuring xx" has it's own folder. I'll stop there the details aren't that important on this.

Does anyone know of a way to "undo" the mess that iTunes has made?

Any 3rd party software you would recommend as I simply can't face moving all the files back, I'd never get it done and then iTunes wouldn't be able to find them....arrg...worse still in ow it's my fault for not paying attention.

Am I forever bound by iTunes library.xml? :-)

Any help would be appreciated.

I use an old Dual G4 running Tiger 10.4.11 and iTunes 9.2 for music.

Regards to all

Nobby

Thanks mate but that's not really much help, Obviously if it was all tagged within correct ID headers in the 1st place I wouldn't have had this problem. (or less of a problem anyway)

Most of my library has come from various sources over many years and a lot of it isn't tagged (or are white labels etc.) Only the CDS I've ripped in myself are correctly tagged. It would take me even longer to go through, tag them all and then move them all.

I was looking to see if what iTunes has done can be undone. I wasn't hopeful in the 1st place but I though someone on this forum might have a wee trick up their sleeves.

Cheers

Nobby

Well, this is a hard one, I really dont think you can undo it, but you could use file undelete program, to see if it can find the previous music folder, and if yes, recover it.

BTW iTunes is evil. I personally have a theory on is evilness. Back in the day when Bill Gates saved Steve Jobs (and Apple) he was like you get your money, but in condition that Microsoft is allowed to make just one of the Mac OSX apps. And iTunes was born.....

Ha ha, you could be right :-) Apart from it runs even worse on PC's, you'd think that Gates would sort that out! hee hee.

It is evil (even on a mac) and now I'm stuck with it as it's really the only thing that will reference my library and the mess it's now in...gutted.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get it back to how it was, I knew as soon as it saw it happening...slow-mo- "nnooooooooo" went on I tell you.

Oh well, cheers for you're input dude, I'm away to cry into my filesystem and forever hate itunes and myself for being stupid (I ALWAYS advise new users to uncheck the "Let iTunes organise"..IDIOT)

All the best

Nobby