88E8056 LAN on Asus p5q-Deluxe Cant get it working, tried everything I can find - HELP

mega maniac

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have been searching for hours to a solution to this problem and just cannot seem to crack it.

I have found many guides detailing how to modify the info.plist file in the yukon2 kext, but despite following this every which way I can think of I still have had no luck.

I have tried replacing the ionetworkingfamily.kext with the one from my iDeneb /extensions/disabled folder and then re-modifying the info.plist to try and create a "fresh" copy of everything but when I do this on reset none of the network is working and clicking "network" from system preferences does not work and it simply hangs.

I have installed a modified io80211Family.kext to get my airport working with a netgear wg311t network card but the Ethernet was not working before this.

Oddly the first time I installed iDeneb the network worked, however on the second install it did not, even tho I am sure I selected the exact same options for the network driver, even double checking this on the 3rd and 4th (install im on now) install.

I just cant figure this out, and its driving me mad, if anyone can help me crack this I will be so happy.

Here is a copy of the IOnetworkingfamily.kext that is currently in my extensions folder.

Also for some reason after using kexthelper the system will freeze, no kernal panic just totally freezes, not sure if its related.

Asus p5q-deluxe

Pentium q6600 core 2 quad

Geforce 8800gt

4gb OCZ RAM

1TB Samsung spinpoint HDD

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

Leave IONetworkingFamily as it is, you shouldn't have to mess with that at all.

LegacyAppleYukon2.kext (with the 88E8053 changed to 88E8056) goes in System/Library/Extensions, you don't have to add it to the plugins folder of IONetworkingFamily.kext.

Don't forget to set permissions on System/Library/Extensions after copying the legacy kext there. You need to do this manually from Terminal, Apple Disk Utility cannot fix permissions on kernel extensions that it doesn't recognize.

Use the search to find out how to do that, it has been posted about 12 billion times over the past four years.

Leave IONetworkingFamily as it is, you shouldn't have to mess with that at all.

LegacyAppleYukon2.kext (with the 88E8053 changed to 88E8056) goes in System/Library/Extensions, you don't have to add it to the plugins folder of IONetworkingFamily.kext.

Don't forget to set permissions on System/Library/Extensions after copying the legacy kext there. You need to do this manually from Terminal, Apple Disk Utility cannot fix permissions on kernel extensions that it doesn't recognize.

Use the search to find out how to do that, it has been posted about 12 billion times over the past four years.

Thanks for your reply, and XLR, thanks for your kext.Still isn't working for me however, although maybe I'm making progress?

I first installed XLR's kext with kext helper, it automatically runs the repair permissions script as far as im aware, but I did this with diskutility aswell. This had no effect atall.

I thought this may be to do with how much I had already messed around with ionetworkingfamily.kext so I extracted the original from the install disk and replaced the one in my extensions folder with kext helper. I also found a file called AppleYukon.kext on the ideneb disk, upon inspecting its info.plist it referenced the 88e8056 so I thought I would extract that aswell.

After installing ionetworkingfamily.kext from the install CD I installed XLR's LegacyAppleYukon2.kext also with kext helper and reset. Upon reset I still had no ethernet connectivity, but there had been a small change. Under network preferences>assist me>diagnostics>continue the ethernet option is now available here and not grayed out but it still insists it is either not "turned on" or there is no cable connected.

I also tried installing the appleyukon.kext I found on the install CD with the same results, I then tried installing alongside XLR's kext with the same results again.

So still haven't cracked it, you guys got any other ideas?

First of all, if you're on Snow Leopard - use Kext Utility and not Kext Helper.

Second, don't try mixing different ethernet drivers together, it will always end up in a massive fail.

Use my kext with original unedited IONetworkingFamily and it should work fine. If it works for me, it should work for you.

XLR, thanks

I'm actually almost too embarrassed to say this, but its solved due to me noticing my own idiocy, I am a pretty advanced PC user which makes this worse. But I popped into windows after I read a post saying that windows can shut down the ethernet card and to enable wake on LAN. In windows I noticed that the Marvell 88e8056 was also disabled, but the 88e8001 was connected... 

If you haven't already got it, I had my network cable plugged into the wrong ethernet port on my motherboard, so when network prefs was saying "network cable unplugged"... well... it was kinda right.

Never had a mobo with 2 ethernet ports on it so it just didn't occur to me. 

I'm just gonna go sit in the corner with my dunce hat now. 

Thanks for your help guys, really.

• 2 months later...
Also for some reason after using kexthelper the system will freeze, no kernal panic just totally freezes, not sure if its related.

I get the same problem with my Samsung N310 Netbook. Kexthelper freezes after it runs. It successfully runs, but stops responding after a kext installation and I have to force quit it.