Hardware for OSx86

Mr. Gecko

14 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm looking to build a computer for OSx86 with a price limit at $200. I am working at upgrading my 733MHz PowerMac to a much better computer to use for a router for my house and as a media server. I am limiting to $200 as I do not really need a 3GHz+ computer. 2GHz duo is just fine and I do not need that great graphics as I am just needing to view text documents and serve content to other computers.

The things I'll need.

A wireless card (g and if possible n)

A graphics card (I know that integrated graphics are bad for OSX in a lot of cases)

A 1Gb/sec ethernet card (2 ports if possible)

I plan to just use the built in internet sharing to do wifi and ethernet. If anyone can help me on this journey, that'll be great.

I have looked around and found some hardware that'll make it $160. But I need to know if the following will work.

Motherboard: Fujitsu D1858 Intel 925 Socket 775 ATX

Graphics: ATI Rage 128 VR 32MB PCI

Wireless: D-Link RangeBooster DWA-542

I know everything else will work. I think the graphics card will work as the iMac G3 used it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_G3). I read here (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.5) that the wireless works, but with WEP only, is that still true with 10.6?

Thanks.

Anyone? I am wanting to know so I can buy the parts and get started. Please let me know soon if they are compatible.

I'm in the same boat you're in buddy. No one seems to want to help that much on here. And the hardware guide they have on the website shows most old out of date boards and cards and other things. I came on here to ask for help on updated motherboards and graphics cards, however I've not had one response to my post.

I have looked around and found some hardware that'll make it $160. But I need to know if the following will work.

Motherboard: Fujitsu D1858 Intel 925 Socket 775 ATX

Graphics: ATI Rage 128 VR 32MB PCI

Wireless: D-Link RangeBooster DWA-542

I know everything else will work. I think the graphics card will work as the iMac G3 used it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_G3). I read here (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.5) that the wireless works, but with WEP only, is that still true with 10.6?

Thanks.

The graphics card is prehistoric!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't works with mac os x.

The cheapest mobo that i know of, is Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L. And for Snow Leopard you'll need at least an Nvidia 8400GS gfx card.

Can you recommend me a graphics card that will work with Snow Leopard and is cheap? As I said, I'm not doing any video or gaming, it's just text and server type work.

LAN is very important!

I'm not saying it won't work, I'm saying that given the information you have provided, I can't tell.

You didn't post any information except motherboard make and model and that means that I have to use google to find out what make and model the LAN is. I'm not going to do that, that's your job. I would like to help you but I shouldn't have to drag this information out of you in the first place.

If you can find out what make and model the on-board ethernet is, I can tell you if it will work or not.