256.00.05a23

Release Date:

Operating System:

Mac OS

Language:

English (U.S.)

File Size:

31.9 MB

19.5.8f03 can be installed on any system if you edit setup checking algorithm. Simply locate "distribution.dist" inside driver package, then delete part of program with "unsupported_title" and "unsupported_message" strings, save and install.

Just installed on a GTS 250 after editing the installer, and it turned my display into boxes, no text, just boxes, everywhere when I log into OS X. I've read other people having the same issue in the aquamac forums, and here as well. I had to go back to the previous version, anyone else have success in 10.6.4?

i have the same problem with boxes in 10.6.4. GTX285, MacPro 3.1 in smbios. I suppose that the solving of this problem is in configuring power management of video card.

While in 10.6.5 10h542d it has already 256.00.05f01 driver, i have better performance that in 10.6.4 and no problem with this boxes.

i hope you understand me.

i have the same problem with boxes in 10.6.4. GTX285, MacPro 3.1 in smbios. I suppose that the solving of this problem is in configuring power management of video card.

While in 10.6.5 10h542d it has already 256.00.05f01 driver, i have better performance that in 10.6.4 and no problem with this boxes.

i hope you understand me.

how much better performance?

Tried those Drivers too,

on my (fully working)

ASUS 8800GTS 512MB (DVI,TV,DVI),

Zotac 9500GT 1024MB (VGA,HDMI,DVI),

Zotac 9800GT 1024MB (VGA,HDMI,DVI),

and on a Sparkle GTX285 1024MB (DVI,TV,DVI)

I have tried NVinject, EFI-String, EFI-String+NVIDIA.ROM, NVEnabler 64 and GraphicsEnabler=yes

But no chance to get it working with one of those Cards, just some retro-look-gray-and-white-boxes.

The only thing that looks okay for me is the Mouse Cursor.

I at least expected that the new Driver would work for the GTX285 since its an official Download for it.

But i guess this just works for the Mac Edition from E-VGA.

I disabled /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext

So i can get at least full performance from my Zotac Cards with the old Driver.

I did not try to disable AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext with the new Drivers, so maybe someone could give it a try.

gl

EDIT: For those with bad performing Cards:

Just start Terminal

cd /S../L../E..

sudo -s

mv AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.disable

>> restart the system (shutdown -r now) with boot flag -f

now the GPU should be performing pretty well with the old driver.

At least this worked for me, so maybe you should give it a try.

If this doesn't work for you, just boot the System in SingleUserMode (-s)

then: mount -uw /

cd /S../L../E..

mv AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.disable AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext

>> restart the system (shutdown -r now) with boot flag -f

gl...again

So now NVidia uses PC-like numbering of drivers for their gfx for Mac? Interesting. Such things doesn't happen without a good reason. Looks like GPU's gonna be really important for Mac's in the future (games, pro-app's, OpenCL, and who knows what else).

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could make benchmark of 10.6.4 vs. 10.6.5 driver set from NVidia and ATI/AMD :()

Thanx Tasskado!

Another update, and again significant improvement in performance. Why so suddently? Is it just pressure of Valve? Could it be, that we gonna see huge wave of game releases before Christmass? Or new Final Cut is coming?

Stay with us after commercials! :)

Thanx Tasskado!

Another update, and again significant improvement in performance. Why so suddently? Is it just pressure of Valve? Could it be, that we gonna see huge wave of game releases before Christmass? Or new Final Cut is coming?

Stay with us after commercials! :)

I've read blizzard is also working with apple on opengl performance. glad to hear the 10.6.5 looks promising

and the thought of turning off graphics power management scares me. i'll stick with windows gaming for now (and probably for a while/for ever).

As much as I apreciate the effort; it's not really dramatic (5%?); the MacOS drivers are still way behind Windows; which is a shame. From my experience with various cards; Windows has about 40% faster OpenGL drivers...

And to think Microsoft would prefer destroy OpenGL in favor of DirectX..