WANTED: Power Management kexts from latest Mac Pro

banini_jeque

10 posts in this topic

Yeah I know what it's called, I'm no noob you know. Anyway, I could be wrong, but I had a hunch that since the new Mac Pro's came out after the 10.6.4 update, they might have a newer build with a AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext that wouldn't panic if you have an X58 board with 6 core support in the bios like my new EVGA X58 SLI 3 has.

And you have a 6core CPU installed to your rig?

As far as I know there is no separate PM update post 10.6.4. You can easily see for yourself buy looking on the Apple Support site, here!

Naturally I assume you have either tried either a DSDT patch to get AICPUPM to load or you have tried chameleon 2 RC5 and have added:

<key>GenerateCStates</key>
   <string>Yes</string>
   <key>GeneratePStates</key>
   <string>Yes</string>

to boot.plist ?

No, I got a quad core - the i7 950 - and yeah I tried both of those. I was reading over the EVGA X58 install thread on infinitemac, and I think it was airwalk 667 who found that if he used any bios that added 6 core support, he would get the panic, so those guys are using older bioses that don't have the 6 core support, or they're choosing to not use PM in some cases. But like I said, the SLI 3 just came out, so there is no older bios for it, only the one it came with from what I saw on EVGA's site, and it has 6 core support and panics even with everything done right in the DSDT, and when I tried the P and C states in C2RC5.

I know there's no separate PM update, but I suspected that perhaps the mid 2010 Mac Pros shipped with a newer version, as that kind of thing has been quite common for Apple computers that come out in between major software updates.

If you look here on everymac.com, they show that the 2010 Mac Pro ships with 10F2521, while my 10.6.4 system is 10F569.

I already had this one uploaded. This is the raw one, and it's in aml instead of dsl, sorry. You'll see it has 16 processor entries, so it can actually support an 8 core chip I guess. I tried taking 8 of them out so I only had 8, but it didn't make any difference.

dsdt.aml.zip

The thing is, I think you would have to run the entire 10F2125 system in order for the PM to work, because IIRC the PM kext is picky like that. Prolly easier just to wait for 10.6.5.

The thing is, I think you would have to run the entire 10F2125 system in order for the PM to work, because IIRC the PM kext is picky like that. Prolly easier just to wait for 10.6.5.

I've just spent some time reading - what about trying just the DSDT from an earlier BIOS rather than flashing with the "wrong" BIOS?

Although I can't see anything in the Scope (_PR) of your DSDT that stands out as a problem!

You are using DropSSDT=Yes when using CH RC5 to generate P and C states?

D

Thats funny I have installed the older BIOS and guess what its 1/2working meaning I don't need the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext any more in the E/E. Its the BIOS thats not working on certain revisions. I even posted the correct one. Currently setting up Sl 10.6.4 with the sleepenabler.kext but using the Chameleon version Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r518.pkg. Currently running SL Beta 10.6.5, works flawlessly for my particular graphics-card. I'm trying this "DropSSDT=Yes when using CH RC5 to generate P and C states"

Thanks @FormerlyKnownAs

I understand you have a 950 and most likely need the BIOS version for your CPU hmm... That sucks if no-matter what you do its because EVGA could care less. I have to admit the cater to enthusiast and even I tend to disable all speedstep and anything that hampers my overclock. I run full 3.8ghz on all core's 24/7 and my setup is almost 2 years old. My heatsink is fantastic.

Just a thought but don't you want to crank the overclock

GeekBench 13,000+

Goodluck

@ FKA, I tried airwalk667's DSDT and it didn't fair any better. I tried all that stuff, drop SSDT, and generateP and C states and no matter what it KPed on the PM.

@ Hangten, I'm not really into overclocking. I may do a bit. I mainly bought the board because I liked the way it looked, especially with the lack of legacy connectors on it, like just one PS/2 port. I had hoped I could use the second and third PCIe x16 @ x8 slot for non video expansion without dropping the first to x8, but I guess I can't, so I'm kind of disappointed about that, but otherwise it seems fine. I put it in a Digital Audio G4 case so only 5 of the expansion slots can be screwed in, and since the video card blocks the first x1 slot, and the bottom x1 is the 6th slot, I can't put my FW 800 card in either of them... :) I guess I could get a regular PCI FW 800 card since there's one PCI slot. Also I have to use VoodooHDA since the new EVGA X58 boards have ALC892 instead of ALC889a.

Anyway, there's only one BIOS for this SLI 3 board ATM, and obviously no future updates are going to fix the issue. I'll just have to wait until I can get a 2010 Mac Pro Install DVD, or for the 10.6.5 update and hope the new PM kext and kernel solve the problem.