Snow Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 - any harm?

hellspawn

6 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...
Hi!

I'm running SL 10.6.4 (vanilla) on a GA-965P-DS4 board with an NVidia 8800GT (G92) card (see sig for further details).

Can I apply the (not so new) "Snow Leopard Graphics Update 1.0" patch via Software Update without killing my system?

Thanks in advance!

I am wondering the same thing, logically thinking, I figure that by doing this, it might modify the Kext that we are using for our Nvidia cards, and therefore cause it to not boot, HOWEVER, if you have a dual boot like me, then you can just backup the original Kext (if you know where that is cause I dont) and then update, if it messes up, just copy the backup over...should work right??

If you've never modified the nvidia kernel extensions by hand to get your video card working, then it's safe to install the graphics update.

If you don't know whether your kernel extensions are modified or not, your first port of call is Krazubu's 'guide for all nvidia boards'. Use Google to find it.

The guide will tell you where to look, and how you can modify the drivers yourselves if needed.