Combo update to 10.6.4 -- KERNEL PANIC

Dradis

10 posts in this topic

Ok, I really need some help here. I've been running 10.6.1 and I tried the combo update to 10.6.4 and got an immediate kernel panic after rebooting. I've tried in the past to combo update to 10.6.2 and 3, both resulting in the same problem. I have a completely vanilla install using a patched DSDT and /extra folder. I have no modded or extra kexts in the /system/library/extensions folder. My system specs are in my signature. These are the files in my /extra/extensions folder:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

dsmos.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

I've tried new bootloaders, older boot loaders, booting without the DSDT and extra folder, deleting all the above kexts except dsmos and fakesmc (as far as i know those are the bare minimums), and i've even replaced the entire system/library/extensions folder with the old one from before the update. That last one sounded crazy to me, but i read it somewhere and figured it couldnt hurt to try. What else can I do? I thought that a vanilla install meant that updates would go smooth.

oh, by the way, I DO NOT HAVE A SLEEPENABLER.KEXT FILE. Every solution I have found so far involves deleting that kext.

Here's a pic of my panic screen:

img0012bz.jpg

One more thing, I have no objection to doing a fresh install from a newer SL DVD. I've already tried it but i get a kernel panic doing that too. I booted by a chameleon boot cd, swapped in the SL disk and tried to install. With the 10.6.3 disk this gives me a panic. With the old 10.6.1 disk it works just fine. Maybe this sheds some light on my situation, or maybe you have some advice to do a newer install. either way, please help.

One more thing, I have no objection to reinstalling from a newer install disk. I have a 10.6.3 disk but it gives me a kernel panic too. I'm using a chameleon boot cd, then swapping out to the SL disk. This works find with my 10.6.1 disk, but not the newer one. Maybe this will shed some light on my situation, or maybe you can help me get that disk working. either way, PLEASE HELP ME. I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Thanks for the help guys, but i tried and still didnt work. I deleted my old dsmos and fakesmc before installing the combo. then after installing i added the new fakesmc. still got the KP. Did i need to do something more, like some terminal stuff or something?

When you install you should make two patricians and run GUID table and install how you originally had it work. Do an install OSInstall.mpkg off the SL disk to your 2nd partician (10.6.3.) This way your up and running and can easily make changes.

I would look for a thread on update 10.6.2 and so on. There are people with your board and I have even used your board for my buddies Hackintosh.

You can also try running the kext utility after you installed combo update and replace kext's with ones that work for your hardware.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Dradis, when you placed the fakesmc.kext inside of your extra/extensions folder what kernel panic are you getting after doing that and removing the dsmos.kext because I'd assume that you can't get the KP at dsmos anymore if it's not present.

Just post a screenshot of the KP when you place fakesmc in there and take dsmos out.

And btw you're welcome for the help with the magic trackpad in the other topic I just recently visited it and read through seems like you got it working. 8)