OSX no longer starts, where to begin?

Minn3h

14 posts in this topic

Triple booting winxp dapper and osx 10.4.6. Haven't tried booting into osx in a while, and when I did today it won't go. Booted -v and googled the last few errors that appear, but nothing was obvious to me. What to try next?

(Is there a way to search these forums for strings of words? quoting things like google would be nice but doesn't work)

except osx:forum.insanelymac.com doesn't return anything, so google's not doing a very good job searching this site

and what information can i provide that might indicate my osx problem?

"osx:forum.insanelymac.com" should be "site:forum.insanelymac.com"

As far as what to search for, you haven't revealed what actual problems or errors you encountered.

Thanks for the correction rammjet, so google still is god.

The problem is that when I go to boot it loads the initial graphical loading screen and never finishes loading, I have to hard reboot. When I boot with -v it does it tells me lots of things as usual, but after a while the text messages slow down and stop. Never getting past that startup stage.

Have you changed any hardware lately, perhaps? Network setting - perhaps you have changed the address of your dhcp box - anything like that will cause a delay in startup.

What sounds likely is that its hanging - but not really, just taking an age - to sort out the network and or hard drive. And your first hard reset may have triggered a fsck...which might have taken ages as well at the next boot...Catch 22.

Post the dmesg - and while you are doing that and waiting for us try bootiing from the cd and running the disk utility - verify and repair on the partition.

//R

Thanks for the correction rammjet, so google still is god.

The problem is that when I go to boot it loads the initial graphical loading screen and never finishes loading, I have to hard reboot. When I boot with -v it does it tells me lots of things as usual, but after a while the text messages slow down and stop. Never getting past that startup stage.

The last thing you see when it hangs is a screen with text on it or a screen with some color and/or graphics on it?

If it is text, can you see if it says "kernel panic" anywhere? How about "waiting root device"? Can you give us the last few lines of text or upload a photo?

Booted into single user and did dmesg, here it is:

hi mem tramps at 0xffe00000
PAE enabled
standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us
vm_page_bootstrap: 255953 free pages
mig_table_max_displ = 71
CPU identification: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
CPU features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 EST
CPU extended features: SYSCALL XD EM64T
Local APIC version not 0x14 as expected
Enabling XMM register save/restore and SSE/SSE2 opcodes
[RTCLOCK] frequency 1810000000 (1809280320)
ACPI CA 20051117 [debug level=0 layer=0]
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=0 LocalApicId=0 Enabled
AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=1 LocalApicId=1 Disabled
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

using 2621 buffer headers and 2621 cluster IO buffer headers
IOAPIC: Version 0x11 Vectors 0:23
ACPI: System State [S0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)
Security auditing service present
BSM auditing present
disabled
From path: "uuid", 
Waiting for boot volume with UUID D9C2BADC-60B8-3CAF-8316-CC1045EDE1EB
Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>
Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleOnboardPCATA" has no kernel dependency.
USBF:	19.923	AppleUSBOHCI[0x212e000]::start OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep
AppleNVIDIAnForceATA: NVIDIA nForce4 (CMD 0x170, CTR 0x374, IRQ 15, BM 0xf008)
AppleNVIDIAnForceATA: NVIDIA nForce4 (CMD 0x1f0, CTR 0x3f4, IRQ 14, BM 0xf000)
Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/IDE0@6/AppleOnboardPCATARoot/SEC0@1/AppleNVIDIAnForceATA/ATADeviceNub@1/IOATABlockStorageDriver/IOATABlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/WDC WD400BB-00AUA1 Media/IOFDiskPartitionScheme/Untitled 1@1
BSD root: disk0s1, major 14, minor 1
jnl: replay_journal: from: 7791104 to: 6901248 (joffset 0x12d000)

The disk utility verify/repair did not change anything.

When I boot I use -v so it never gets to the graphics part, when it stops there's still all text. No kernel panics or instances of "waiting for root device."

It's been a while since I booted into OSX, but I think when I was using it before I installed the macvidia drivers. Those worked without a problem though.

-minn3h

OK - nothing there looks to be ringing any bells. "Safe" mode? Boot with a -x and see what happens? Give it some time (10-15mins, maybe?) in case its trying to resolve something.

Failing that, try platform=X86PC -v

//R

@sandwer with -x i got the graphics loading screen, the big MacOS and the blue progress bar, which filled all the way up and stopped, I left it for an hour. platform=X86PC -v didn't change anything as far as I could tell, same messages I'm getting used to seeing.

@domino what information should I look for? where?

Also, that dmesg I got from single user mode doesn't have even the first half of the message I see when I boot I boot normally with -v. Don't know why that is or how to get a full output. I did dmesg > dmesg.log and opened that from Ubuntu.

-minn3h