Dual Boot Failure, XP AUTOCHK not found

brandonlouis

5 posts in this topic

First of all, this was all done on an Inspiron 6000.

I was able to succesfully install osx86 using the patch DVD method found in bender's release, which I am pretty proud of, as I have had exhausted all other installation attempts. I then added Xp to a partition I had set-up during the OSX install. XP loaded fine and booted up. At this point, I was told that all I needed to do was to set my osx86 partition to "active". Not having a win98se boot disk, I used an app from Partition Magic (can't remember the exact name) that allowed me to reboot to the other partiition. I tested out OSX once more, and it fired up right away, I restarted and this time selected the XP partition. After sitting at the boot screen for a few minutes, it gave me an error saying "AUTOCHK not found", then dumped to the BSOD,

Any ideas? If possible, I want to try and avoid reinstalling both OS's. as it is a pain in the arse. I have really enjoyed OSX so far, but since it does not yet support wireless, I need a dual boot system. Plus, I don't know if I am ready to go "cold turkey" from Windows.

Thanks for the help in advance

I will try to run the chkdsk. After doing some research, I am starting to believe that when I made the osx86 partition active, I hid the xp partition... The problem is, I don't know how to go from here.

Is there a way I can make the XP partition active again using linux or Tiger? If I did that, I think I could get back into XP and then make the switch again, without hiding the XP partition.

EDIT: I ended up reinstalling XP on top of it's original partition. Then I went back and used a microsoft utility called BOOTPART to change my active primary partition to OSx86. It was really easy to use, I suggest it to anyone.

Or you can search the wiki and find the solution.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...le_And_Accurate

* In your BIOS set CD-ROM as 1st Boot Device.
  * Insert your Windows XP Setup CD, to boot from CD.
  * After the intial loading of drivers is over, on the Welcome to Setup Screen with 3 options; Press R key, to "Repair XP installation using Recovery Console".
  * On the next screen you will be asked to choose your Windows installation, choose the one that is causing the problem by typing the number beside it.
  * You will be prompted for Adminstrator account's password. Press Enter if the password was blank.
  * Type the following commands, and press enter after each one:
        o Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
          (where C: is the partition where XP was installed)
        o DEL C:\Boot.ini
        o BootCfg /Rebuild
        o Fixboot
  * Reboot your PC