Issues installing OSX86 to my Gateway, someone please help!

Ndn Guy

13 posts in this topic

I've been trying a couple of methods now and they all seem to be giving me trouble after or during the installation.

1. Tony's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method, i have used both Nvidia and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] supported boot disk and when i insert the Snow Leopard CD, i get the normal apple logo and after a couple of minutes the screen starts to flash, stops then my laptop freezes.

2. Installing Snow Leopard CD to HD or Thumb drive via USB. I see a different screen, i see a HD and actually install SL on my HD. After completion when booting into the drive with SL i get a normal blank DOS screen.

i even tried to use the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd after using the USB HD installation to see if that could work with no dice.

So i need help, it looks to me that i can install this but i'm missing something.

Here are some pictures if it helps

[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method

when selecting snow leopard disk

iboot1.jpg

The flickering i mentioned

iboot2.jpg

USB Method

Step 1

usb1.jpg

Step 2

usb2.jpg

Step 3

usb3.jpg

Step 4

usb4.jpg

Step 5

usb6.jpg

My ending

usb7o.jpg

i hope this can help someone figure out what i'm doing wrong.

have you tried rebooting to the USB installer after install? use should be able to select the HDD you install SL on there to start, also try booting with the -v flag (press F8 on your bootloader screen and type) to see any error you get at the point it freezes

have you tried rebooting to the USB installer after install? use should be able to select the HDD you install SL on there to start, also try booting with the -v flag (press F8 on your bootloader screen and type) to see any error you get at the point it freezes

First off thank you for replying, I've tried a couple of forums already on this and this has been the best. I'd tried using the USB installer and it worked, this was the first time anyone wrote to do that in all of the sites i visited. Second problem my keyboard or sound does not work. I found an old USB keyboard and I had trouble trying to enter my information after the welcome screen and did not complete the registration.

So i decided to reboot my computer and this time from the SL HD, i ended up getting this message and could not type

photopp.jpg

So what can i do? do i always have to use the USB drive to boot in SL?

hey, no problem

yes, for now, until you install a permanent bootloader, you will have to use the USB to boot, i advise to boot with -v so you can see all errors

first of to try and fix your normal keyboard and sound, we will need to know your specs (specifically the specs in question, sound card/chipset and keyboard) To do this, you will need some kexts (equal to windows drivers, but work in a different way) head over to kexts.com and see if you can find anything that matches your hardware (i suggest using time machine to backup your current working system to an external drive before messing with anything)

Once you found the kexts you want, download the latest kext utility (google it) mount the dmg and copy the app to your desktop. Then one kext at a time, drag the kext and drop it on the utility on the desktop, you will be asked for your password and then the install will start, when one kext is finished (it will say have a good day/night) you can start the next in the same manner, but try doing one at a time to avoid complications.

Thats a very quick and condensed version, there are more intricacies to it, feel free to ask before doing anything major, or if you want more info on something

also, post your full system specs and the distro you are using

hey, no problem

yes, for now, until you install a permanent bootloader, you will have to use the USB to boot, i advise to boot with -v so you can see all errors

first of to try and fix your normal keyboard and sound, we will need to know your specs (specifically the specs in question, sound card/chipset and keyboard) To do this, you will need some kexts (equal to windows drivers, but work in a different way) head over to kexts.com and see if you can find anything that matches your hardware (i suggest using time machine to backup your current working system to an external drive before messing with anything)

Once you found the kexts you want, download the latest kext utility (google it) mount the dmg and copy the app to your desktop. Then one kext at a time, drag the kext and drop it on the utility on the desktop, you will be asked for your password and then the install will start, when one kext is finished (it will say have a good day/night) you can start the next in the same manner, but try doing one at a time to avoid complications.

Thats a very quick and condensed version, there are more intricacies to it, feel free to ask before doing anything major, or if you want more info on something

also, post your full system specs and the distro you are using

This is what my system specs for the gateway p-7811fx

* Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 (2.26GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 3MB L2 cache)

* Memory: 4GB (4096MB) DDR3 800MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 x 2048MB modules), max. 4GB

* Hard Drive: 200GB 7200rpm Serial ATA hard drive w/ 16MB Cache

* Video: NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS with 512MB of GDDR3 discrete video memory

* Chipset: Intel PM45 Chipset

* Display: 17.0″ WUXGA Ultrabright TFT Active Matrix (1920�1200)

* Audio: High-Def Audio, 2 Channel (Conexant)

* DVD Drive: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50 ATA Device

* Digital Media Manager: 5-in-1 Digital Media Manager Memory Stick, MS Pro, MMC, SD, xD

* External Ports: 3 USB 2.0, VGA, V1.2 HDMI Connector, IEEE 1394 Firewire Port, e-SATA

* Ethernet Network Card: Marvell variant

* Optical Drive: 8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVDRW with DVD-RAM featuring Labelflash Technology

* Wireless Network: Intel 802.11a/b/g/Draft-N Wireless Networking (Intel 5100)

according to the Wiki (not sure if thats been updated) says this

Chipset: Mobile Intel PM45 Express

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 / 2.26 GHz - Fully working

Audio: Sigmatel HD SmartAudio 221 - Internal speakers working using AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

LAN: Marvell Yukon 88E8057 - Unsupported

Video: nVidia GeForce 9800m GTS - Fully working (QE/CI, Native Res) using the guide here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=938402

SATA & IDE: Fully working

Imaging: Gateway USB 2.0 Webcam working with CamTwist application (although not in iChat)

i tried looking at the kexts website and its confusing, i found more from searching google.

Audio - appleazaliaaudio.kext

Keyboard - alternativeacpi.kext or PS2 controller.kexts

but i still could not find a download there, and when you mean download it to the desktop do you mean leopard or Windows. i still have not completed the registration since the USB keyboard i'm using always types the same letter 5 times. I'll try the -v but i'm not sure when i can do that it boots up very fast and not sure what screen to do it on as well.

exactly what i was about to say (note that command is windows logo on a PC keyboard)

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=235.0 (at the bottom of the first post)

http://www.mediafire.com/?yzznnbmedyn

the two kexts you where after

Somehow he USB keyboard was working and now i'm fully registered. Now for the Kext do i have to download them when i'm in SL or windows? my wireless network card is not working. so i need to find a kext for that too. Can you help me find one? Thank you guys so much for your help

download the kext in SL and use the kext utility (google) to install it (drag the kext and drop it on the app)

then reboot to see if it has worked (be sure to back up the system first)

download the kext in SL and use the kext utility (google) to install it (drag the kext and drop it on the app)

then reboot to see if it has worked (be sure to back up the system first)

Thank you for the files, but now i need one for the network card. i tried both wireless and Ethernet and i need a kext for that. Is there a good site for me to find this, also should i use a usb thumb drive to transfer the files over to SL?.

**Edit** i think i found a kext for the Marvell card, and i'll let you know what happends

**Update?** keyboard or network driver did not worked :) any ideas?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182978

if you where to follow THE ETHERNET FIX part of the guide above, you might get slightly nearer to it working, however, make sure you fill in the 88E8057 instead of 88E8056

you will also have to find out what string to put in the the second edit you do, but i don't know how to find that out, you will have to google around, also, look here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...75#entry1358756