Dell Inspiron 6000 Owners: Chime In

hatoncat

12 posts in this topic

I am trying to pin down the problem with Quartz Extreme and Core Image, and I think that Dell Inspiron 6000 is the key. The reason being, it keeps all the components identical except for Celeron and Pentium-M different processors. While this sounds academic in difference it isn't.

You see, the Celeron-M runs on the 910 chipset, while the Pentium-M runs on the 915 chipset. I am seeing that people with the Celeron-M version of the 6000 can do QE and CI while the P-M owners (myself included) watch their systems crash and burn without an external monitor.

I need Dell 6000 owners to post their specs while using Mac OS X and confirm if QE and CI works (you have to edit the kexts needed to do this). Hopefully we can pin down that in-fact the 915 chipset is the one that is buggy with Mac OS X and QE/CI, and the 910 chipset is not.

For example:

Dell Inspiron 6000

1.73 GHz Pentium-M

256 MB RAM

GMA900

QE/CI Do Not Work Without External Monitor Present

Note: If you have a Dell 6000 with a Radeon X300, do not post, your system does not have drivers supported by Mac OS X and is beyond the scope of this thread.

Guest timepassx

Dell Inspiron 6000

1.6 GHz Pentium-M

512 MB RAM

GMA900

Hangs on blue screen if no monitor present. QE/CI work with external monitor attached (can be unplugged after booting).

OK so I just got mine running OSX with spec

Intel 1.6M

756mb

40gb 5400

ATI X300 64MB

Not sure about this graphics stuff as Im a complete mac newbie, someone tell me how and I will check it

Found that profiler kept bombing out on me

Out of box, audio, mouse, graphics (1024x768) are working, DVD defo isnt and if I run International in sys pref it just kills the appy

Any other pointers people for starters ?? I assume I need some patch for sse2 anyone got thread linky (searchy seems down)

Guest timepassx
Note: If you have a Dell 6000 with a Radeon X300, do not post, your system does not have drivers supported by Mac OS X and is beyond the scope of this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a Centrino/Pentium M Inspiron 6000 and I have QE and CI supported without an external monitor. The only problem is that it won't boot all the time. I have to boot into Windows, and sometimes even log in, then restart and boot into OSX86 and after the Apple logo disappears, the LCD will flicker to black, then to blue and to a background and show the OSX loading bar and then the login screen.