Gigabyte EP45 / Q9550 Slow performance on OS X

16 posts in this topic

Hello dear insanelymac users.

I stumbled upon a very curious thing the other day. I installed a new Graphics Card, and suddenly my system geekbench'ed about 6500ish, where my normal score is 9000+ on OS X. I then took my old GFX card in again, and whoa! 6500ish again. To further prove that something was wrong, I did my "Retouch Artist" speed test in photoshop, and it took 35 seconds, where normally it takes 15-16 seconds. I rebooted into windows 7 and here, my geekbench score is 9000, and my photoshop test was 15 seconds.

I then reinstalled OS X on a clean harddrive (testing purpose), and tried 10.6.0, 10.6.1 etc etc up to 10.6.4 and the "slowness" was still apparent. Same silly 6500ish GB score.

Then I thought it must have been something in the bios, but I can't seem to think of any adjustments that could have forced my OS X to a crawl.

What could have turned my sweet OS X around like this ?

Sincerely Unklemac

Install method:

Retail USB snowleopard modified with Stells Snow Magic Installer ->

Then update to 10.6.4 and then used Magic installer once again.

( http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/23846198...-update-ud3p-v3 )

Both my DSDT's:

both_DSDTs.zip

post-209328-1282468745_thumb.jpg

Fixed_DSDT.zip

Thanks for replying. What is this issue you say ? If you could just give me a bit more details I would be very happy.

Not sure if you read the whole thing, but the speed is the same in 10.6.0, 10.6.2, 10.6.3 and 10.6.4, as I did a reinstall on a seperate disk.

I took some screenshots of my hardware info:

zmnjnmfmzjqymzmymwu0zjg1zjrmnwzhyjbhytllyjc.jpg

Thanks for replying. What is this issue you say ? If you could just give me a bit more details I would be very happy.

Not sure if you read the whole thing, but the speed is the same in 10.6.0, 10.6.2, 10.6.3 and 10.6.4, as I did a reinstall on a seperate disk.

Sorry I had interpreted your original post as the speeds were the slow again only after you patched up to 10.6.4.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...6771&st=864

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1496982

Try grabbing nvclock and checking what speed your video card is running at.

I didn't find a download site for OS X, only for Linux. For that app you mentioned. Do you know a download link ?

Also, the speed difference is 100% the CPU (possible RAM too), since Lightroom is slower and it uses 0% GFX card to help speed things up. Photoshop also reacts the same weather i choose to run with or without GPU support.

But its a start, if I can get those readings, since Geekbench tells me my machine runs at 4Ghz (after the test is done).

I hope some others with similar problem will chime in, to help me sort my newly "upgraded" computer slowness :-S

Bump again.

Wrong thread or what ? Seems to get no feedback :-(

Sounds like your cpu's multiplier is stuck at lowest P-state which means you are running something like 6 * 470, 2820 MHz. 6500 would be a normal Geekbench score for that speed. What you need is working powermanagement for your cpu, start looking for speedstepping etc.

Sounds like your cpu's multiplier is stuck at lowest P-state which means you are running something like 6 * 470, 2820 MHz. 6500 would be a normal Geekbench score for that speed. What you need is working powermanagement for your cpu, start looking for speedstepping etc.

That could very much be the case. How do I got about working with my powermanagement ? is that the AppleCPUpowermanagement.kext that needs to be changed ? Or some motherboard settings ?

Thanks for taking notice to my tread :-)

That could very much be the case. How do I got about working with my powermanagement ? is that the AppleCPUpowermanagement.kext that needs to be changed ? Or some motherboard settings ?

Thanks for taking notice to my tread :-)

This new version of Chameleon should help you : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=225766

This new version of Chameleon should help you : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=225766

Ok now im eager to get started (I will erase a harddrive to get a testing going)

I just looked twice through the 16 (now 17) page thread. Very interesting, but heres the deal.

I am not sure how to Make a DSDT, SSDT and stuff like that. My system has so many apps and configurations that takes a couple of days to set up, but if I can get a new way to install OS X with full speed etc. then im all in.

What I could do is test this Chameleon. I have a Retail OS X Snow Leopard DVD, so what else do I need to get Chameleon to work ?

Sorry if those are total n00b questions. Add'ed my system to my Signature :-)

Ok now im eager to get started (I will erase a harddrive to get a testing going)

I just looked twice through the 16 (now 17) page thread. Very interesting, but heres the deal.

I am not sure how to Make a DSDT, SSDT and stuff like that. My system has so many apps and configurations that takes a couple of days to set up, but if I can get a new way to install OS X with full speed etc. then im all in.

What I could do is test this Chameleon. I have a Retail OS X Snow Leopard DVD, so what else do I need to get Chameleon to work ?

Sorry if those are total n00b questions. Add'ed my system to my Signature :-)

If you are running Snow Leo then you already should have DSDT file, SSDT files are not needed for powermanagement. Basically all you need to do is to replace Chameleon with newer one and add these lines to com.apple.Boot.plist file:

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

If you are running Snow Leo then you already should have DSDT file, SSDT files are not needed for powermanagement. Basically all you need to do is to replace Chameleon with newer one and add these lines to com.apple.Boot.plist file:

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Thank you so much. Now to put it into practise, how do remove and install

a newer chameleon ? I have found the boot list, so adding the lines should

be no biggie. I would really like to test it out on a new install asap :-)

Is the chameleon RC5 the one I should look for ? Not really sure where to

put the files if I had them. Sorry for being mildly handicapped with installers.

Would mean the World to me since I just bought the cpu.

Thanks again for taking your time!

Thanks both. I have trouble with my internet unfortunately, but should be fixed by friday or saturday :-( Bad timing really.

UPDATE:

I have swapped DSDT files with the one that wasn't fully compatible with my Motherboard, with one that was (Got it from Kexts.com). Now my speed is back up to 9500 Geekbench, but I have no sound.

Almost there :-)

UPDATE 2: Just had to move DSDT soundcard info to new DSDT and add 10.6.2 AppleHDA audio kext, and everything works... even 5.1 Digital.