Question About Parallels VS. Bootcamp

9 posts in this topic

Okay so first let me start this topic by saying this is my first post and i just signed up today. I had used this site when i used hackintosh which was a couple years back. This past june i bought the macbook pro 17" with the additional i7 processor and anti-glare screen. I am pleased to say i love mac and will never get a pc again. Anyways, i wasn't planning on using bootcamp or a virtual machine, basically i had no intention to install windows whatsoever. I looked for mac applications that are similar to DVDFab and Convertxtodvd. Obviously these are pc applications that don't support mac. I looked and i found some applications that 1. couldn't decrypt 2. didn't work. So i didn't want to burn dvds on my pc or put movies off my mac to my pc. I just wanted to use my mac for everything. So i ended up getting parallels and installing windows 7 ultimate, i bought it from amazon so its retail not oem or illegally downloaded. I installed both programs DVDFab and convertxtodvd without any problems and they both worked. For some reason DVDFab gives me a problem when burning i have no idea why. After writing the dvd to a temporary folder it asks for a blank dvd to be put in. I put in a Sony DVD-R disc and it says no media detected and ejects i try to insert it and various others same problem. My macbook pro DVD drive obviously reads and writes DVD-R. That's one problem. The other one is after i installed parallels it seems like it delays my shutdown speed from 3-4 seconds to an addition 10 seconds. I didn't have any idea that parallels caused so i thought it was onyx as i had cleared the default selected options to do cleaning. After doing that, is when i noticed the slow shutdown. I had erased my hd and reinstalled mac and put back the applications via the 2 dvds the mac came with. I basically am good with everything now, just have to download the steam games again and also update garageband. After reinstalling it shutdown fine with all my 80+ apps installed then parallels installed and it started again. I looked up online to find out that this delays shutdown this prl_disp_service. I heard if u kill the process shutdown is as fast as before so i killed it and BOOM 3 seconds it's off. If i don't kill the process my dock goes down and i see the background for about 10 seconds and then the blue screen which only takes 2 seconds and that's it. Now is there any way i can keep parallels installed and not have this problem? If i were to get rid of parallels and install windows 7 on bootcamp would this problem occur? If i do install boot camp i may install an additional programs. 3-4 Games

Also is this forum for official mac users and fake mac users?? (the people who run hackintosh)??

Thanks Everyone for reading this!

I hope i find a fix for this, greatly appreciated.

If i were to get rid of parallels and install windows 7 on bootcamp would this problem occur? If i do install boot camp i may install an additional programs. 3-4 Games

I don't know exactly if BootCamp will solve your problem, but it pretty much turns your mac into a pc. Yes you may install as many programs as you have space either way.

Also is this forum for official mac users and fake mac users?? (the people who run hackintosh)??

There is no "official" forum for OSx86 but this is one of the larger if not largest. Welcome aboard.

I looked for mac applications that are similar to DVDFab and Convertxtodvd

I would suggest (before trying bootcamp) Handbrake and iDVD/VLC (I have no idea what Convertxtodvd does. If you include a description, I can find an OSX equivelant)

Mac programs do not slow booting/shutdown time because of how the are made. SOME do slow things down. Methinks that you were messing with settings in onyx that ruined you boot/shutdown times. I know nothing of onyx.

Mac programs do not slow booting/shutdown time because of how the are made. SOME do slow things down. Methinks that you were messing with settings in onyx that ruined you boot/shutdown times. I know nothing of onyx.

uhh why don't people read what i write..... sorry for being like this but if u read u would have known.... if u read i said that I reinstalled MAC and after doing so i figured out that the reason why the shutdown was being slow was because of parallels and i didn't even have to reinstall mac. Once i killed the process it shutdown in 3 seconds like usual. It's parallels and from what i've seen other people experienced the same problem.

Again u didn't read what i wrote so im done talking to you. Stop argueing with me and trying to make seem like ur right. It is paralells and not what i did in onyx. If i kill a paralells process and it shut downs like normally then im pretty sure it's parallels.