Confusion with DSDT patching

5 posts in this topic

I have read many threads on many sites and, to be honest, the more I read the more I get confused.

I have a Sony Vaio AR51SU and am running Vista and iATKOS S3 v2 on the same drive. In Snow Leopard no output device is found for audio. Audio is Realtek ALC262 and Sigmatel 9872. So I thought that by patching the dsdt this may be picked up by SL. Would I be right about that?

I have tried the alc262 patched applehda kext and nothing changed.

One really confusing thing is that in System Profiler audio is picked up as Intel and the dev id is 9016104d - and actually that dev id is my Marvell Yukon 88E8055 ethernet card!!!

I know that Ioreg can extract the acpi tables but it seems to me that it only extracts the tables from the SL installation. Wouldn't I need the tables from my bios and patch those? Do I get those with acpidump?

My head hurts a lot and any help would be very much appreciated.

I have read many threads on many sites and, to be honest, the more I read the more I get confused.

I have a Sony Vaio AR51SU and am running Vista and iATKOS S3 v2 on the same drive. In Snow Leopard no output device is found for audio. Audio is Realtek ALC262 and Sigmatel 9872. So I thought that by patching the dsdt this may be picked up by SL. Would I be right about that?

I have tried the alc262 patched applehda kext and nothing changed.

One really confusing thing is that in System Profiler audio is picked up as Intel and the dev id is 9016104d - and actually that dev id is my Marvell Yukon 88E8055 ethernet card!!!

I know that Ioreg can extract the acpi tables but it seems to me that it only extracts the tables from the SL installation. Wouldn't I need the tables from my bios and patch those? Do I get those with acpidump?

My head hurts a lot and any help would be very much appreciated.

Yeah i gotcha man... that gave me a huge headache as well. Believe me.

So from what i figured dsdt patching is simply a way of telling SL where and how to comunicate with some devices that apple wasn't prepared to use.

so lets say that SL believes that the audio controllers are on adress 0X001 but your bios has it on 0X002, by patching the dsdt you correclty tell SL to look in 0X002 instead of 0X001. Again im as noob or even more than you are with a similar headache but i got the dump from mine using a windows prog and then followed some guides to patch my dsdt.

All that for nothing bk im using iatkos s3 v2 and it almost work out the box as the bootloader apparently does all the work. sure it took a while to tweak everything but once u figure out what makes it KP then u go back and use another one.

Riding SL is simply cool, way too cool! so the ehadache is worth it!

take care

Thanks for your reply Mrskain.

In my Vista OS I installed Everest and I extracted the dsdt so I now have an acpi_dsdt.bin. I'm pretty sure that comes from my bios - not windows dsdt (whereas ioreg comes from SL's dsdt and I think would be no good). If I find out how to mount/read/edit that file (maybe dsdt patcher?) I can then research what needs changing so that my audio, wifi etc can be used by SL. That's the plan - if my thinking is right. The when it's edited and re-compiled to a DSDT.aml file I can put it into Extra/Extensions or the root - I think :-)

Thanks for your reply Mrskain.

In my Vista OS I installed Everest and I extracted the dsdt so I now have an acpi_dsdt.bin. I'm pretty sure that comes from my bios - not windows dsdt (whereas ioreg comes from SL's dsdt and I think would be no good). If I find out how to mount/read/edit that file (maybe dsdt patcher?) I can then research what needs changing so that my audio, wifi etc can be used by SL. That's the plan - if my thinking is right. The when it's edited and re-compiled to a DSDT.aml file I can put it into Extra/Extensions or the root - I think :-)

Yeah that is right,

basically instead of the bios giving the hardware info to os, the bootloader is

the dsdt patch is used by the bootloader to tell the os what we want so you need to put your patched dsdtfile in the root

that would work.

also u need to compile the file b4 so you gonna need DSDT patcher program, google it for download.

But check out charmeleon rc5 by using the distro i told you b4, saves u a lot of work. you can add almost all info direclty to the bootloader on install, so vga etc works ofthe box

Yeah that is right,

basically instead of the bios giving the hardware info to os, the bootloader is

the dsdt patch is used by the bootloader to tell the os what we want so you need to put your patched dsdtfile in the root

that would work.

also u need to compile the file b4 so you gonna need DSDT patcher program, google it for download.

But check out charmeleon rc5 by using the distro i told you b4, saves u a lot of work. you can add almost all info direclty to the bootloader on install, so vga etc works ofthe box

Thanks again Mrskain.

I used DSDTSE (newest version) to edit and compile DSDT.aml (just a little edit - ie changed every occurrence of HDEF to AZAL (4 of them) then installed a new voodooHDA) to get the sound working. Placed it in Extra folder and rebooted. I can now hear myself! :-)

That was the easy one. Video with an nVIDIA card on a Sony Vaio is a whole different kettle of fish. It probably isn't possible at all judging by what I'm reading. Vaios are different!

Thanks again though.