SSD Size for Dual Boot

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how much disk space they each take up? I don't need a lot of extra space on the drive since I'll have plenty of disks in the computer. And there's no problems with partitioning the SSD and putting both on it?

Does anyone know how much disk space they each take up? I don't need a lot of extra space on the drive since I'll have plenty of disks in the computer. And there's no problems with partitioning the SSD and putting both on it?

About disk space... I personaly use Snow Leopard for home / work. I have Macintosh partition with approx. 5 GB of documents (text). All takes about 25 GB. I have full Office 2008 and lots of apps installed on Macintosh partition but still... only 25 GB. Before SL I used Leopard on 20 GB partition and it was quite fine (about 15 GB) so don't worry about that. Of course, my Macintosh partition is 100GB but it's interesting how OS X is small and compact : )

MAIN ISSUE will be Win 7 which takes about 15 - 20 GB just for OS and then ADDITIONAL swap file which will be size of amount of RAM you have. In my case 8GB.

ADVICE: Go for it... 64GB minimum but 128GB is recommented. Also, seek new generation SSD-s!!! That's very important... minimum 20 GB for Macintosh partition (keep all big stuff on other HDD-s) as for the Windows 40 GB is minimum... Also, move swap file to other bigger partition for two reasons, SSD-s don't like it due frequent read/write and you'll save space (Google a bit about swap file on ssd for explanation... as well as TRIM option)

Cheers,

an1r0n

• 10 months later...
I've got a couple questions for if I'm going to dual boot Windows 7 and Snow Leopard. Should I install them on the same SSD? How big of an SSD would I need to use for both OS's?

I have a 120 GB X-25 for my machine running both OSs. It seems perfectly adequate. I divvied it in half; The mac partition is much less than half full, where the Win7 is slightly more than half full currently, but I installed more programs for work on it. I currently have a 1 TB mac formatted HD to offload stuff onto; I have 640 GB HD from my old computer that I haven't got around to sticking in the case yet for the Win7 end

If you are careful what you install and you have another HD, you can probably get away with a 64 GB model; If you only have one drive, or if you are planning to install lots of apps to the SSHD, I would plan on a minimum of 120.

Installing them both on one HD was not too difficult - there's a good tutorial on TonyMac. I did it backwards, installing SL first and then Win7; once I reinstalled [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]/chameleon (now Chimera) I was good to go. The [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] bootloader does slow down startup somewhat however; you don't seem to get the same wow factor as you would if the box starts up in 20 seconds flat. Everything else is quite zippy.

Ben