Computer-CPU Stutters!

12 posts in this topic

Hello wonderful community.

Periodically my computer will start jittering (freezing for a millisecond) as if the CPU or HDD is overloaded. But this happens when only a few basic apps are running. It is very noticeable when I'm playing music or video through iTunes, because the music cuts out. It happens mainly when the CPU is being used, and does not happen consistently (it may go away for 5mins, then be bad for 5mins, with no external changes). This also happens in Logic... which is an important thing to fix for me.

I'm running all the latest updates, and other than this my system has been running fine.

Specs: i7 920, 12GB DDR3 Corsair XMS3, GA-X58A-UD3R, MBox 2 Pro, 5.5TB WD Black, GeForce GTS 250, SnowLeo 10.6.4, Linksys WUSB54GC v3

Ideas?

Thanks!!

Z

Edit: I've discovered this happens on my Win7 boot as well (I'm dual booting). Same symptoms. So definitely hardware related I believe.

Hello wonderful community.

Periodically my computer will start jittering (freezing for a millisecond) as if the CPU or HDD is overloaded. But this happens when only a few basic apps are running. It is very noticeable when I'm playing music or video through iTunes, because the music cuts out. This also happens in Logic... which is an important thing to fix for me.

I'm running all the latest updates, and other than this my system has been running fine. I'm on WD Black drives with plenty of space so I doubt that is the issue. i7 920....

Ideas?

Thanks!!

Z

Might want to check your dsdt for fixes to the IRQ from the PIC and TMR (TIMR) devices, depending what board you are using.

Might want to check your dsdt for fixes to the IRQ from the PIC and TMR (TIMR) devices, depending what board you are using.

I would love to.

But how to do it? I don't understand much of that, and I can't find it on the forum.... except I don't think I'm using a dsdt because I just used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

My mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

Thanks for the help!!!

Also, I've discovered this happens on my Win7 boot as well (I'm dual booting). Same symptoms. So definitely hardware related I believe. It happens mainly when the CPU is being used, and does not happen consistently (it may go away for 5mins, then be bad for 5mins, with no external changes)

Im using X68A UD3R without DSDT and i7 CPU and no issues. So nothing to do with DSDT. In bios make sure HPET mode is 64bit

Also check if Ram is stable with Memtest86+, 12Gb ram will require some voltage tweaking.

fabulous. I think it's set to 64-bit but will make sure to double-check.

do you have a recommendation on where to learn how to tweak my voltage? also, the RAM is 1600 but is only being recognized as 1066, which I know is typical of this motherboard, but enabling XMP crashes my system.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Yes, turns out my CPU temps were way too high! That was causing the stutters. Got a new nice CPU fan and the problem went away.

I'm curious what your stutters are like, because your problem is a bit more complicated. I know quite a bit about audio, so if you could describe the issue better than maybe I can help. What audio card you're using, is it periodic, does it always happen in iTunes, does it ever happen when listening to youtube music videos...

Yes, turns out my CPU temps were way too high! That was causing the stutters. Got a new nice CPU fan and the problem went away.

I'm curious what your stutters are like, because your problem is a bit more complicated. I know quite a bit about audio, so if you could describe the issue better than maybe I can help. What audio card you're using, is it periodic, does it always happen in iTunes, does it ever happen when listening to youtube music videos...

Now as you can see the iTunes is off. Check this out. No Stuttering.

Now... iTunes started, not even playing ... now the stutter

see how it jumps? i only move the mouse left to right.

iTunes back off, no more stuttering.

I use the sound card embedded on the motherboard. Check the signature for hardware details.

Thanks a lot!

P.S. Only in iTunes, YES. I used to have the beta version of iTunes (latest). Removed the beta when it expired and installed the last one from Apple's website. Not sure if this is connected but I wanted to mention it.

I recorded a video of the actual stutter so you can understand it better maybe visually:

http://youtu.be/tNwe1_IDgBo

PEACE! :D

hmm.. we have different symptoms because my audio was stuttering as well as my video. I would guess that the problem has nothing to do with your audio card, as there are no audio artifacts (and I'm guessing that other audio players like VLC do not cause a similar problem). It probably has to do with some background process in iTunes (whether it involves ethernet, wireless, USB for syncing... I have no idea).

I would try an older version of iTunes. I've personally seen some oddness with the newer versions.

Hey, thought I would add my 2cents seeing how I just solved an issue with my audio stuttering. Mine would actually clear up as the CPU load increased though.

Anyway, all I did was type in (without quotes) "busratio=16" at the chameleon boot loader. Now the 16 is My CPU Multiplier, so of course you would need to replace it with your own. here a link to help you find it if your BIOS doesn't show it. Of course if it works just add it to your boot.plist

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t240542.html

Hope I was of some help. Good luck.

well, a CPU multiplier of 16 worked in your case because you are underclocking your CPU.

the suggested solution therefore should be to underclock the problematic CPU by one multiplier at a time under the problem is relieved, not to set it to 16. it will be different for various CPUs I imagine.

that said, Georgiles has a problem that doesn't involve audio stuttering, so I'm not sure if it will be alleviated by this, but it is definitely worth a shot.