USB WiFi dongle RTL8188SU supported?

Spo0onMann

4 posts in this topic

Hey,

My wifi card in my laptop isnt supported by OS X, so I have decided to buy a USB dongle that is supported by OS X.

I came accross http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/150Mbps-802-11n-WIRE...=item335ec42fcc this, and it says 10.6.x is supported but they dont include drivers.

Can anyone give me a link to the drivers or confirm that the chipset it uses (RTL8188SU) works out of the box?

Thanks.

Hey,

My wifi card in my laptop isnt supported by OS X, so I have decided to buy a USB dongle that is supported by OS X.

I came accross http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/150Mbps-802-11n-WIRE...=item335ec42fcc this, and it says 10.6.x is supported but they dont include drivers.

Can anyone give me a link to the drivers or confirm that the chipset it uses (RTL8188SU) works out of the box?

Thanks.

Yes, mate. If you mean RTL8188S (with no U, but I think it's the same), then it works in Snow Leopard and the driver is in the CD with the card. A good guy from here left that driver online as well.

RTL8188SU Driver

I bought this one from Ebay and it works fine with the following authentication methods in Snow Leopard 10.6 (mine is 10.6.4):

- Open network (unsecured)

- WEP

- WPA

- WPA2-PSK

But it does not (or still does not) work with WPA2-Enterprise (or 802.1x authentication) although it does in Windows. Hope some good guys around here would find a workaround for this soon.

In brief, if you connect to the home network, this Wifi card is a good choice. If you connect to the Internet from your office or university, you need to check the authentication method there before you buy the card.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I tried the driver that came with the CD (only up to 10.5) as well as the one that you had linked. They both seem to work when Snow Leopard's running in 32-bit mode, but cause kernel panics when in 64-bit mode.

I had this same problem in 64-bit mode, and unlucky for me my hackintosh installation crashes under 32-bit mode. I found a driver apparently for the Airlink 101 in this thread which did the trick.