Dual-Screen (2 Monitors) with a PCI and an AGP Card

Tim Johnson

2 posts in this topic

Hey, I'm trying to get some kind of dual-screen support going with Mac, but I'm having limited success. I'm using 10.4.6 and I installed AGPGart and the Macvidia drivers, but it seems like Mac will only detect one card or the other (PCI or AGP)

I have one NVIDIA FX5500 in the PCI slot which gets detected automatically by default and used, and another FX5200 in the AGP slot which normally doesn't get detected at all unless I pull out the PCI card, and then it works perfectly.

Does anyone know how to get both cards detected? (and then I think I can get them working...)

Hey, I'm trying to get some kind of dual-screen support going with Mac, but I'm having limited success. I'm using 10.4.6 and I installed AGPGart and the Macvidia drivers, but it seems like Mac will only detect one card or the other (PCI or AGP)

I have one NVIDIA FX5500 in the PCI slot which gets detected automatically by default and used, and another FX5200 in the AGP slot which normally doesn't get detected at all unless I pull out the PCI card, and then it works perfectly.

Does anyone know how to get both cards detected? (and then I think I can get them working...)

Yup this is expected behaviour. I have one machine with onboard vga. If I start the machine up, it defaults to that port. If I add a PCI card, then the display defaults to that. So I have either one or the other. I suspect that osx refers to the bios to look for active displays and can't entertain the possibility that if you are using the AGP card, that you'd want to use the PCI card as well

However - my main machine has an ADD2 card in the PCI-E slot and osx works out that this is a separate display to the onboard vga (a 950 chipset).

So far, the only way to get dual displays seems to be using this method - Intel 950 onbard video with an ADD2 card.

//R