Unknown Video Card

markwil317

5 posts in this topic

Just another noobie question. I have an almost full functional Hackintosh that after much work seems to be working quite well. There are however two things I wanted to discuss. I am using NVenabler which appears to have made my video cards acceleration work.

My question is this do I use Nvenabler and a video card specific Kext for my 9800gt (nvidia) or just stick with Nvenabler?and not worry about it saying unknown video card. I appear to have full hardware accelaration DVD player and games such as world of warcraft are working perfectly!

My other question is unfortunately the monitor will not wake from sleep but the computer itself does wake could this possibly be a result of the unknown video card? or perhaps a bios setting

This is what I am getting from my system profiler by the way I am running iAtkos v7 with the voodoo 9.7 kernel

Unknown nVidia card:

Chipset Model: Unknown nVidia card

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0605

Revision ID: 0x00a2

Displays:

HP w2207:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Television: Yes

Display Connector:

Thanks in advance for any help would be greatly appreciated! :(

what bootloader are you running? PC EFI? Chameleon?

for 9800 GT using the Nvidia 9X series installer supplied to us by aqua-mac and, generating an EFI string to your com.apple.boot.plist file is the cleanest way of getting your card working. nvenabler, natit, etc should only be used if you cant get EFI strings working (least my opinion).

Aqua-Mac installer - NVIDIA 9 Series Drivers

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=132089

if your not familiar with EFI strings yet, start reading, there are pages and pages and pages of info, guides, how to's on the forum

EFI Strings

i recommend reading up about your bootloader and com.apple.boot.plist file before you go playing with EFI strings. first time i did i gave myself a headache when it all could have been prevented had i had the patience to read another 15-20 minutes about how OSX handles booting with bootloaders and the boot.plist file

can't help with your sleep issue, never cared for sleep function myself

Thank you for the helpful advice I will read up some more and give it a try!

what bootloader are you running? PC EFI? Chameleon?

I am using the chameleon boot loader by the way that came with iAtkos distro

for 9800 GT using the Nvidia 9X series installer supplied to us by aqua-mac and, generating an EFI string to your com.apple.boot.plist file is the cleanest way of getting your card working. nvenabler, natit, etc should only be used if you cant get EFI strings working (least my opinion).

Aqua-Mac installer - NVIDIA 9 Series Drivers

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=132089

if your not familiar with EFI strings yet, start reading, there are pages and pages and pages of info, guides, how to's on the forum

EFI Strings

i recommend reading up about your bootloader and com.apple.boot.plist file before you go playing with EFI strings. first time i did i gave myself a headache when it all could have been prevented had i had the patience to read another 15-20 minutes about how OSX handles booting with bootloaders and the boot.plist file

can't help with your sleep issue, never cared for sleep function myself

• 3 months later...

It's just cosmetic. If the correct drivers are loaded for the card and hardware accelerated graphics are working, don't worry about what System Profiler says.

How to get video card model displayed in System Profiler depends on which injection method you're using.

If you're using GraphicsEnabler=y with Chameleon, you have to add your video card name and device ID to the video injection code and compile your own Chameleon.

If you're using an injector.kext such as NVEnabler.kext I think you can add the cards model name somewhere in info.plist inside the injector. I don't think all injector.kexts allow this however. Google/Forum search to find out how.

If you're using DSDT GFX0 injection, look at example code from other people to see how that works.

If you're using "EFI" device-properties string in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist you need to redo your device properties string and add the model name.

Again, google/forum search.

All the information is here guys, just spend a little more time researching and you'll find it.