Gigabyte X58A-UD3R ALC889 10.6.4

Drake Wolfe

10 posts in this topic

I have been following many threads on how to get the ALC889 (NOT ALC889A) sound card to work in 10.6.4, I am at WITS END. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. I have tried the kexts at kexts.com (http://www.kexts.com/view/405-binary_patched_applehda.kext_for_alc889_%28mac_os_x_10.6.4%29.html). I have tried 10.6.2 kext and the 10.6.3 kext.

Here's the weird thing, I had a PERFECT setup about a week ago, everything was working GREAT, I had full audio, networking, video, etc. Then I go to install Adobe CS5 Master Collection, I get a nice message saying "Adobe CS5 blah, blah, blah can't be installed on a Case-Sensitive file system." Well F**K, I screamed... So I reformat and reinstall to a Non-CS filesystem, I get everything working except for this DAMN SOUND. It makes me insane. I did EVERYTHING I did before and it still doesn't work, I really don't get it AT ALL. Now, I know it says it's for SL 10.6.3, but it worked in 10.6.4 after I updated before. Why wouldn't it now? I have also tried Aschar binary ALC889 for 10.6.4 and again nothing, also applehdaalc889binpatched10_6_4, and nothing again. I was using the same method as below to install the kext and I used Kext Utility trying to get this POS to work.

I am sure this topic has been discussed, but I couldn't find anything that really fit my situation which is why I opened a new thread.

Any help is greatly appreciated

This is what I did before:

Title: Binary patched AppleHDA.kext for ALC889 Version: - Compatible with:

10.5.x

No

10.6.x (32-bit)

Yes

10.6.x (64-bit)

Yes

Link: - Description/instructions: Aschar binary patched the AppleHDA.kext in Snow Leopard 10.6.3 so it will support the ALC889 audio chipset. If you've got this chipset, then you need this file to get audio back in Snow Leopard 10.6.3

Instructions:

Download AppleHDA.kext

Open Terminal and type these commands:

sudo cp -R AppleHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

Wait about 15 minutes (kextcache needs to rebuild) or use pfix to manually rebuild cache, then reboot and you should have audio back!

It came with the AppleHDA.kext

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I have been following many threads on how to get the ALC889 (NOT ALC889A) sound card to work in 10.6.4, I am at WITS END. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. I have tried the kexts at kexts.com (http://www.kexts.com/view/405-binary_patched_applehda.kext_for_alc889_%28mac_os_x_10.6.4%29.html). I have tried 10.6.2 kext and the 10.6.3 kext.

Here's the weird thing, I had a PERFECT setup about a week ago, everything was working GREAT, I had full audio, networking, video, etc. Then I go to install Adobe CS5 Master Collection, I get a nice message saying "Adobe CS5 blah, blah, blah can't be installed on a Case-Sensitive file system." Well F**K, I screamed... So I reformat and reinstall to a Non-CS filesystem, I get everything working except for this DAMN SOUND. It makes me insane. I did EVERYTHING I did before and it still doesn't work, I really don't get it AT ALL. Now, I know it says it's for SL 10.6.3, but it worked in 10.6.4 after I updated before. Why wouldn't it now? I have also tried Aschar binary ALC889 for 10.6.4 and again nothing, also applehdaalc889binpatched10_6_4, and nothing again. I was using the same method as below to install the kext and I used Kext Utility trying to get this POS to work.

I am sure this topic has been discussed, but I couldn't find anything that really fit my situation which is why I opened a new thread.

Any help is greatly appreciated

This is what I did before:

Title: Binary patched AppleHDA.kext for ALC889 Version: - Compatible with:

10.5.x

No

10.6.x (32-bit)

Yes

10.6.x (64-bit)

Yes

Link: - Description/instructions: Aschar binary patched the AppleHDA.kext in Snow Leopard 10.6.3 so it will support the ALC889 audio chipset. If you've got this chipset, then you need this file to get audio back in Snow Leopard 10.6.3

Instructions:

Download AppleHDA.kext

Open Terminal and type these commands:

sudo cp -R AppleHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

Wait about 15 minutes (kextcache needs to rebuild) or use pfix to manually rebuild cache, then reboot and you should have audio back!

It came with the AppleHDA.kext

what method did you use to install it? any programs in particular

• 10 months later...

This is my personal solution to sound on Gigabyte X58A-UD3R v 2.0 Bios FF

This is confirmed working on LION 10.7 GM

DSDT has all edits required for gigabyte boards but no video edits, no sound edits. Sound is achieved via HDA Enabler.kext / Apple Rollback HDA and a Legacy 889 kext in E/E

https://rapidshare.com/files/3039444374/Wor...d_X58A-UDR3.zip