Can't eject or unmount disks

kmand

6 posts in this topic

I've tried a variety of 10.6.x installs on a Dell D610. Ultimately they all have the problem that disks cannot be unmounted or ejected from the OS X GUI. This includes diskutil, which hangs on "unmounting disk" when it tries to partition the disk, and the finder.

This applies to the internal disk, as well as usb disks.

From a terminal I can actually force a unix umount, but not from any of the OS X tools.

• 1 month later...
I've tried a variety of 10.6.x installs on a Dell D610. Ultimately they all have the problem that disks cannot be unmounted or ejected from the OS X GUI. This includes diskutil, which hangs on "unmounting disk" when it tries to partition the disk, and the finder.

This applies to the internal disk, as well as usb disks.

From a terminal I can actually force a unix umount, but not from any of the OS X tools.

Hey Kmand, I am have same or similar problem. I am trying to install iATKOS S3 version2 and/or iPortable 10.6.2. But I can not install to internal HDD as it is unmountable to format/erase nor can I install OSX to it. Its driving me nuts. Have you found anything more on this issue? Her eis alink to a post I made but no one has answered. Thanks. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=226605

there ara some HDD dont formatted by mac

i have the same problem so i set up on anther HDD

IF you need mac replace internel hard

or setup on externel hard

OIC. But is this a change since Snow Leopard? I use to run Leopard ok (iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8). That could format and all.

Plus I just backed up and delete all partitions on the internal HDD. Then boot up into iPortable and could use Disk Utility to format the drive into 2 partitions and I select MBR for compatability for use of WinXP on part1. But after formatting complete I tried to unmount and get teh same issue again. Something has changed with Snow Leopard.

OIC. But is this a change since Snow Leopard? I use to run Leopard ok (iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8). That could format and all.

Plus I just backed up and delete all partitions on the internal HDD. Then boot up into iPortable and could use Disk Utility to format the drive into 2 partitions and I select MBR for compatability for use of WinXP on part1. But after formatting complete I tried to unmount and get teh same issue again. Something has changed with Snow Leopard.

idont understand you correctly

but if ideneb format HDD correctly use it to format then restart

and start setuo snow

idont understand you correctly

but if ideneb format HDD correctly use it to format then restart

and start setuo snow

Sorry I will rewrite for understanding. I cant not get Snow to install to my laptop as I do not seem to be able to make use of the HDD (internal). Under any of the versions of Snow I have used I can not eject or unmount and because of that I can not format or install to.

So I loaded up the iDeneb DVD installer (which is just Leopard 10.5.8) and I can open Disk Utility and format the partition (because it will unmount successfully). So after reformatting to HFS+ case-sensitive journel, I exit the installer and reboot and load Snow Leopard to install. But when I choose the partition that I formatted under iDeneb to install Snow to, it just sits there whith the progress bar doing that preparing state (the scrolling white/blue stripes, not the normal progress). I leave it and come back after an hour and still trying to initiate. So it must be a problem again with using the drive under Snow. So this is why I dont think its files being open that are preventing me from unmounting/ejecting to format under Snow. But rather snow cant work with the drive compared to plain old Leopard.

Could it possibly be the AppleIntelPIIATA.kext or IOATAFamily.kext drivers? I have tried a different AppleIntelPIIATA.kext under iPortable, and it still loads up the OS but I still have the same issues not being able to work with internal HDD. Well I noticed I cant eject another USB external disks either.