anybody installed OSX on Supermicro X8DAi ?

spawn

7 posts in this topic

hi i have Supermicro X8DAi board with 2 Xeon X5680

is it possible to install osx on that machine ? if yes could someone help me?

Chameleon 2.0 RC4 r684 seems to work but after that i get crashes

thanks

• 1 month later...

finally got it to work !! :blink:

you need

Snow leopard installation disc 10.6.3

Tonymacx86 [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Supported + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 2.1.1 works

some older video card that will install thxe osx ( then you can change it and play with video kext ) i used evga 9800gt

if you use some newer card like nvidia 470 gtx it will just freeze while booting

config i tested it on

- Supermicro X8DAi

- 2x 3.33 Xeon X5680

- 12 GIG Memory

- Evga GTX 285 ( first install with Nvidia 9800GT or other older supported video card ) you can get GTX285 working but you have to update to 10.6.4

- OCZ Vertex SSD

all working great

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you are done with this mobo.

I think that you've ancountered a problem with Chameleon 2.0 RC4 r684 due to boot file.

Will try vanilla installation using my usual order - bootflash with Vanilla SL installation image + Cham 2 RC4 + PCEFI10.5 + FakeSMCv2.5. Cham2's original boot often causes KPs or not-booting.

Can you tell about Speedsteps, Sleep on this mobo and so on?

• 2 weeks later...

sleep does not work

speedstep i cant check i dont know what program to use that shows speedstep working

but when i had in smbios id MacPro4,1 or 5,1 i had OpenGL very small scores

after i upgraded chameleon rc4 to rc5 i got the full speed ( opengl is in thousands instead hundreds ).

also rc5 is supposed to fix the speedstep issue and sleep ( not for me )

if you can supply me with speedstep diagnostic soft i will confirm it

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Where did this take you?

I am planning / dreaming / gathering info on building a dual Xeon hack pro with a Supermicro X8-something motherboard.

It is not worth it if I can't be sure there is functioning ECC, and speedstep is much appreciated. Sleep I can also do without.

But if the point is to get as close as possible to a real Tylersburg Mac Pro, I'd expect most if not all things to simply work.