Black screen on fresh install OSX -GTX 260 card

6 posts in this topic

Hey All

I have a EVGA GTX 260 video card and I'm pretty sure I know what is going on but I dont know how to fix it.

If I have to do a fresh install of OSX or a restore from time machine- When I reformat my hard drive and I have the GTX 260 in the slot -once the install screen starts to come up- the screen goes black.

Now I have a ATI 4890 card that I have to put in there so I can install see the screen and install OSX - I would leave the ATI card in but I have a ASUS Rampage Gene II board and they dont like each other. The GTX card plays better with Adobe products and FCP.

Once I get OSX restored -I can put the GTX 260 back in and everything is fine.

I was thinking of changing to a 9800 GT card because I need to free up some space in my case and want to go to a single slot card.

If I change to a 9800 GT card -will it make the screen go black if I have to reinstall again? Is it just the 260 or all NVidia cards do this.

Any fixes

Matt

is it the GTX 260 "Core 216" model? I have it, works flawless.

try a different installer. [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] got mine up

hey --yes it is the core 216

I have tried everything --and MyHack is the only one that will work with my board -Asus Rampage Gene II - I tried [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and NO go.

but everytime i put in the ATI card I can install everything. I just dont want to use the ATI card

matt

Assuming retail install method -

Find a boot132 image that's using chameleon 2. i.e the Brazilian OSX teams' build (google it.)

Then use GraphicsEnabler=Yes at boot prompt !

(If i had a £ for everytime i've typed this !!!)

D

FormallyKnowAS---

yeah its a retail install -Of Snow Leopard

does that boot132 work with SL?

just curious

If my GTX 260 is like this with this board --will all Nvidia cards be this way if I decide to switch cards?

If my GTX 260 is like this with this board --will all Nvidia cards be this way if I decide to switch cards?

hard to say ..

yes this boots snow leo retail disk + snow L

GraphicsEnabler=Yes

my pain, feel it - i spent a long long night finding this out when i first had to fresh install with my gtx260

ps you may also need PciRoot=1 .. i.e PciRoot=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes

but i doubt it.

D