install done: broken glass-like graphics

guitarist

16 posts in this topic

Installed, properly, the 10.4.6 DVD and just get fragged display in OSX. Should I do the .7 update?

Also you can only have one active partition at a time right? So it's been either the XP menu which is great or it goes straight into OSX depending on which I flag.post-15532-1153044131_thumb.gif

It would help a lot if you told us the hardware specs of your system :thumbsup_anim:

EDIT: I just saw the laptop in your sig. Try using an older build of callisto for your GMA950. I'm not sure if the koverg patch is for integrated graphics, but you might want to check the forum just to be sure.

My system: Core Duo E1405 Dell laptop, 1 Gig ram, Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950, Intel 3945 wireless, Dell/Toshiba 350 bluetooth, Broadcom nic, Sigmatel audio, Ricoh card reader, Conexant modem on audio bus, WXGA+ Truelife LCD. OSX 10.4.6 Jas

I did custom ( Intel, 11 thing) install and turned one processor off. Thanks for the help.

you need to downgrade your OpenGLframework

OK, I'll have to look that up...

Edit: Researched it but I'll need a good breakdown of such a task. I have some experience with pasting in fixes from running Linux but this I'll need help with such, please.

The overview seems that you pull off the GL files from an older release. There was a GMA option during the DVD install one would hope that'w've worked.

Forget what c-prompt said, callisto is a framebuffer for ATI cards. You have a intel card, just selsct the GMA option in the install an dit should work fine

Forget what c-prompt said, callisto is a framebuffer for ATI cards. You have a intel card, just select the GMA option in the install an dit should work fine

Ah well, sorry to not follow your advice but I reinstalled and unticked that GMA 900 option and.... it worked! I guess it's quite specific. First look is fantistic.

Also, this may help some folks. After altering the boot.ini and adding the chain0 file the OSX option appeared at boot up and right after hitting it NAIL the F8 key. That's the secret or you're stumped.

A major victory with this. My Mac orientated flatmate is gonna be so nonplussed. He's been like "...but it's not a Mac." :)

I had the exact same problem. I fixed it by using the AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from 10.4.5 with the 10.4.6 AppleIntelGMA950* files. I am also running 10.4.6. I couldn't get the AppleIntelGMA950* files to work with 10.4.5. If I use the AppleIntegratedFramebuffer that comes with 10.4.6, I am unable to change the resolution from the GUI. It took me 3 installs until I got the damn graphics working perfectly. Everything is flawless now.

How do you boot to a prompt to do this? I should be able to do this from the darwin boot loader I assume.

Well, on this machine I get both boot loaders. First the familiar XP one with all three listed, then when I select Apple OSx 86 (HERE I have to just at the right time punch F8) it goes the OSX menu which looks more technical then it's the reward- a very eye friendy looking and bulletproof OS.

I figured this out!!! no more broken glass :dev: I have a Intel D945GTPLR

boot with the -s option

run the following commands

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950*

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

worked for me!

I figured this out!!! no more broken glass :) I have a Intel D945GTPLR

boot with the -s option

run the following commands

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950*

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

worked for me!

I was also getting the 'broken class display' problem.

When I booted with the "-s" option and got the command prompt, any attempt to run the above commands gave me the message about the file system being read only ("Read only file system").

I was eventually able to remove the Extensions files/folders by booting off the installation disk and pointing to the files relative to the /Volumes/Mac OS X/ folder. However, it appears that the "kextcache" script tries to write a file to the /tmp folder, which it can't because that refers to the location on the installation disk.

I am almost there as I get the Welcome screen but after the start-up wizard I get a blank blue screen.

What are my alternatives to running this commands and booting into Mac OS X?

And does anybody have any suggestions to get me out of this hole?

I was also getting the 'broken class display' problem.

When I booted with the "-s" option and got the command prompt, any attempt to run the above commands gave me the message about the file system being read only ("Read only file system").

I was eventually able to remove the Extensions files/folders by booting off the installation disk and pointing to the files relative to the /Volumes/Mac OS X/ folder. However, it appears that the "kextcache" script tries to write a file to the /tmp folder, which it can't because that refers to the location on the installation disk.

I am almost there as I get the Welcome screen but after the start-up wizard I get a blank blue screen.

What are my alternatives to running this commands and booting into Mac OS X?

And does anybody have any suggestions to get me out of this hole?

Done!!!

After deleting the Extensions files/folders all I had to do was reboot a few time (x10).

Actually, I think the problem was that the start-up wizard was freezing at the point where I select my internet connection. It booted when I choose "no internet connection".