IDE vs SATA

17 posts in this topic

IDE is old and will probably die soon. Apple no longer sells anything with IDE drives in them anymore. All intel machines have sata drives, so I have no idea why 10.6 supports IDE The first sentence means that IDE drives will get hard to find and be expensive, the second and third indicating possible compatibility issues in the future.

That depends on what you plan to do with it. For everyday light use you're not likely to see any difference.

My P4 hack runs 10.5.8 off of a PATA drive and it boots faster than my C2D hack which uses SATA drives. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with hard drive performance though.

IMO you should go with SATA primarily because of compatibility, not because of performance. PATA can be a pain in the ass, especially during installation. Google, or type "Still Waiting For Root Device" in the search box to see what I mean.

@ epicvengeance

Just be aware that with a non-AHCI compliant nForce chipset MOBO, a PATA (IDE) DVDRW is recommended if you want to read/write CDs and DVDs.........this is because the current AppleNforce kexts do not handle SATA DVDRWs properly........however, SATA HDDs are fine.........

@ epicvengeance

Just be aware that with a non-AHCI compliant nForce chipset MOBO, a PATA (IDE) DVDRW is recommended if you want to read/write CDs and DVDs.........this is because the current AppleNforce kexts do not handle SATA DVDRWs properly........however, SATA HDDs are fine.........

Which mobo manufacturers use nForce chipsets?

Maybe I should re-ask my question:

Will I be having troubles with a SATA DVD drive and a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 motherboard?

Thanks.

Which mobo manufacturers use nForce chipsets?

All of them.

Will I be having troubles with a SATA DVD drive and a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 motherboard?

That board probably uses the ICH10 controller which is supported, so it should work. Don't forget to enable AHCI for your SATA controller in the BIOS and make sure the DVD drive is actually connected to the ICH10 and not some other SATA controller, some boards have more than one.

@verdant

Would I be okay if I got a sata DVD burner with gigabyte G41M-ES2L?

It has only 1 IDE port, and 4 sata. I was going to use a IDE hdd to backup my primary sata.

Leaving me with only 3 sata ports to work with.

The drive in mind would be the 19.99 one on newegg.com (sony)

Thanks

@verdant

Would I be okay if I got a sata DVD burner with gigabyte G41M-ES2L?

It has only 1 IDE port, and 4 sata. I was going to use a IDE hdd to backup my primary sata.

Leaving me with only 3 sata ports to work with.

The drive in mind would be the 19.99 one on newegg.com (sony)

Thanks

On the PC MOBO side, I would suggest a Gigabyte MOBO with a IDE channel that is supported by Cartri's OS X-friendly BIOS......http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=210994

But I already bought the mobo, so I was wondering if a sata dvd drive would work with it.

Oh.....OK

Yes it should do because it uses an Intel ICH7 series chipset as the Southbridge in combination with the Intel G41 chipset........but I am not sure if this MOBO has AHCI mode in BIOS.........see here......... :(

Well I got a sata hdd working flawlessly. Shouldn't a sata DVD drive work the same?

Yes, I said it should.........

Oh alright thanks, and I also just realized that the drive I was going to buy has reviews saying it was used or a hackintosh. LOL

Hope all goes well with the new MOBO and OS X........... :(