Any .DMG or .ISO or .CDR Bootloader To Be Installed to Flash Drive or CD

alvin777

6 posts in this topic

Hi. I'll need a bootloader to experiment on (I won't use the option key on boot method). It's hard to install bootloaders using the linux commands and using the Mac. Is there a bootloader (GRUB, Syslinux, LILO, etc.) that's already in .DMG or .ISO or .CDR so I can just burn it as bootable to a CD or even a Flash drive? Thanks in advance.

Gbu

I thought about it and maybe.....

but you can install a bootloader from within an hex editor to the beginning to a drive(sector0)

Just don't kill the magic numbers to zeros and backup your stuff.

You can use this program to dump an entire iso(any kind really) to a usb stick then you can use "boot-kabyl-bumby" to boot it(tested personally,should work :rolleyes: )

just select your drive then select disk,click on "write files to blocks" & select your image then wait until done....BTW if it looked like it froze ,it didn't...its working. ;)

-p.s. there is a odd bootloader option in ibored if you get it working,let me know.

Downloads:

Windows

iBored_Windows_1.1.4.zip

Mac

iBored_Mac_1.1.2.zip

Linux

iBored_Linux_1.1.2.zip

Hi,

Thinking about it you could use EmpireEFI, RebelEFI or even chameleon you can download it from their official website which you can actually look up online and then simply download it and install straight away from the zip onto your flash device.

for empire or rebel efi, you have to restore them using disk utility.

Good Luck !

PS : as it is said in my signature feel free to contact me for further help.

Hi. Thanks, will any of these (iBored, Chameleon, RebelEFI, etc.) work on a real Mac? I'll be using my iMac i7. Which bootloader mentioned would be the best for this Mac? The USB Flash drive would be an HP v220w (highly recommended 16GB USB drive, it's all metal, the whole thing plugs it, partitioned only for the bootloader so the rest of the flash drive could be used. It's small and elegant like jewelry. It's metal it decipitates heat more efficiently).

chameleon is in boot-kably-bumby btw

rebel efi and empire efi work too...

also ibored works but you need to be careful because I had never tried its bootloader personally but its designed to work with flash drives.

Try reading this site...I know its for freebsd but mac was based off it(not freebsd but just bsd) so no worry.

It tells you what goes on when you boot to a drive in your computer and give you information about the bootloader and how to install it but it mainly tells you how on a Linux machine.

just get a hold of the bootloader you want and your set.

-off-topic:Cool flash drive,I use my psp memory card as my flash drive through the card reader I have,It has a very fast read speed(10-20mbps!) than a regular flash drive.

Here try this...

Install Chameleon 2.0 RC1 on a USB stick.  [ Guide by JASON ]

Open Terminal and Type

sudo -s

Enter your password and Type

diskutil list

Make note of the /dev/diskX where your USB stick is located (ex. mine is /dev/disk7)

Keep terminal open and open Disk Utility (fyi, you can most likely create an MBR partioning scheme with diskutil, I just don’t know how)

click on your USB stick and click “Partition”
click the ‘+’
click Options and choose MBR
Name it whatever you want (I named mine EFIUSB)
Click Apply
Go back to terminal
Type “diskutil list” and make sure your USB device is still listed the same as it was before (“disk 7” in my example)

Type the following string

diskutil eraseVolume “HFS+” “EFIUSB” /dev/diskXs1

Where ‘X’ is the number of your USB drive you got before

cd to your Chameleon/i386 directory

Run the following commands:

./fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX         (where X is your disk – loads the stage 0 bootloader)

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs1          (where X is your disk – loads the stage 1 bootloader)

cp boot /Volumes/EFIUSB                 (copies the Chameleon ‘boot’ file over to your usb)

mkdir /Volumes/EFIUSB/Extra          (makes the Extra directory on the USB stick)

Now from here, you can copy your Extensions.mkext, com.apple.Boot.plist, smbios.plist, & Themes directory using Finder over to your /Volumes/EFIUSB/Extra directory