Flawless Wireless USB on Snow Leopard 10.6.3 - Easy as 1-2-3

hockeylove

6 posts in this topic

After reading through all the threads in the LAN and Wireless section. I finally was able to effortlessly and relatively easily get my USB adaptor to work.

If you just want to get on the internet and surf without going through a mission to install your wireless card/usb device, this is what you want to do. I spent endless hours searching on here and other places, this by far is the easiest way to get on line.

First off you need to pick up a Belkin F5D7050 v 3.xxx Wireless G USB Adapter. I found my at XXX.frys.com(just replace the xxx with www. Not sure about live links for retailers here) They have this version. I'm sure a quick google search will get you what you want and probably cheaper too! I paid $29.99 and was able to pick it up at the store.

Second, you need to go to the Ralink Mac support page and download The latest files (kext/drivers and wireless utility program) Here is the link http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3 download the USB(RT257x/RT2671/Rt2500) dated 4/13/2010 file. This file has all you need.

Once you downloaded the file there will be two packages. Install them both. It may ask you to restart your computer after each one, go ahead and do that. After you have installed both packages and have restarted your computer, plug in the USB adaptor. You should notice the Ralink Wireless utility start up on its own. You will be able to see all the wireless connections available to you. Choose your connection by double clicking it and enter your WEP key. You should be able to go on line now. If you can't go online. go to system preferences and go to your Network settings. You will be able to see your Belkin Adaptor make sure it is the first one on top. If it is not double click on it and it will move to the top and the little bullet will turn green. You should be able to go on line now.

Once your online you can turn off the Ralink wireless utility program.

Hope this helps enjoy!!! :D

P.S. This does not show up as Airport, But it works to get online. I have restarted my computer many time and i always have internet. The Ralink wireless utility always starts up on its own after a restart. All i do is shut it down after it is connected to my connection.

• Like 1

THANK YOU SO MUCH. but i thought i would point out that it doesnt have to be that model. I had a Belkin F5D9050 v4000 just begging to be used and this worked flawlessly even when belkins own 10.4 drivers failed. i love you.

i have this feeling that It will work on pretty much anything. As a matter of fact, as far as i can tell, it doesnt look for what usb adapter it is and just heads straight for the wireless hardware itself and uses its own driver protocols

THANK YOU SO MUCH. but i thought i would point out that it doesnt have to be that model. I had a Belkin F5D9050 v4000 just begging to be used and this worked flawlessly even when belkins own 10.4 drivers failed. i love you.

i have this feeling that It will work on pretty much anything. As a matter of fact, as far as i can tell, it doesnt look for what usb adapter it is and just heads straight for the wireless hardware itself and uses its own driver protocols

I am so glad it worked out for you. I hope it will help other too. Now we know it will work for 2 different belkin products. I think this will also work with some d-link usb's and Linksys. I don't remember which model numbers. It works with the models that have Ralink chips.

I followed this guide but it does not seem to work for my Belkin F5D7050 v4000. My search for WiFi on my hackintosh continues :(

Sorry to hear it did not work for you. Maybe because it is a different version. Good luck and thanks for your input. :(:unsure:

• 1 month later...

I have the same 3.xxx adapter but when I install the 2 packages and plug in the usb the light doesn't turn on nor does thewireless utility pop up. Are the two packages supposed to be RT71W-Ralink-SnowLeopard.pkg and RT71W-SnowLeopard-Uninstall.pkg? I was skeptical at first to install the second one being that it has "uninstall" in the name. Any help would be much appreciated!