Have to ask...point of updating to 10.4.7?

retroz

3 posts in this topic

:blink:

The last time I asked about why update to 1046, I found out programs (Final Cut for HD Express UB) would not mount without it..from 10.4.5.

But with 10.4.7 its a different story. Doesn't the hack include not loading .7 kexts?

Wondering what benifits, if any, are there in upgrading....10.4.7 seems most buggy, at least in the "How To" thread - there is a JaS dmg floating around on usenet (10.4.7) and am curious.

Many "Pros" that depend on their systems for their "Daily Bread" never update their OS's for months yet we here want the latest and greatest, yet if we are not getting the recent kexts, what's the point?

What say you? :P

Or is it becuase it's there menatility! LOL

I wont list the improvments in the 10.4.7 update but it is worth going to 10.4.7.

Also using the latest kexts isn't always the best idea,its like saying in windows you always need to install the latest drivers for your hardware.

We all know once we get our hardware working well in windows we try not to mess with new drivers until we have to.Os X should be no different

As for the system frameworks and updates to other parts of the Os,Sure I can see installing them for added app support or Os features and bug fixes.

kexts are an insignificant part of a version update for those of us running "hobby macs".

you don't have to update drivers for working hardware.

as far as i can tell, the performance benefits of the 4.7 update reside in the Frameworks.

excepting ATI kexts and OpenGLFramework, i'm using 10.4.4 kexts and enjoying the overall speedup. :)