Nvidia 7600GT on Snow Leopard in x64

14 posts in this topic

• 3 months later...
First you have to ask yourself why you want to run in 64-bit mode.

True, 64bit OSX86 should not be a requirement for anyone right now AFAIK. Still, it is vaguely desirable, and Apple needs a way to obsolete hardware.

Anyway, I am in the same situation, 7600GT. 10.6.4 Chameleon RC5 32bit vanilla. NVInject works in -x32 bit mode. Switching to graphicsenabler=yes and removing -x32 booted but lacked QuartzExtreme etc. (I suggest trying this anyway to see about 64bit compatibility aside from graphicscard). EFIString works in -x32 with QE, so I have removed NVInject. Booting NVInject64 or EFIString in 64bit mode will boot, but it stops at a blue screen that otherwise disappears quickly under 32bit kernel. 64bit also did not work under SnowOSX 3.6 for me. If EFIString does not work, 64bit appears incompatible with this card at the moment. Options I have not tried include NVEnabler, the nVidia graphics update from Apple, and any graphics-related DSDT patching.

As Beerkex'd said, 64bit isn't necessary now, so I'm not going to continue testing on it (I'm sick of nervous "-s -x -v -x32" booting). If anyone has an update regarding a nvidia 7600 GT booting 64bit OSX86, it would be appreciated.

It doesn't make any difference what injection method you use, the issue is that the drivers themselves don't have a 64-bit code path for 7xxx series cards, and that is very unlikely to change.

Consider that no Mac that can run Snow Leopard in full 64-bit kernel and drivers mode ever shipped with a Geforce 7 series video card. That includes the 2006 Core 2 Duo iMac and the 2007 Mac Pro, which, while technically capable, are held back by 32-bit EFI firmware. "Apple needs a way to obsolete hardware" indeed.

Maybe if you somehow got hold of the driver source code from Nvidia it would be possible to compile a set of 64-bit drivers, but what are the odds of that happening. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Buy a new video card, or dual boot with 64-bit Windows like the 2006 Core 2 Duo iMac and 2007 Mac Pro owners do.. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

It doesn't make any difference what injection method you use, the issue is that the drivers themselves don't have a 64-bit code path for 7xxx series cards, and that is very unlikely to change.

I just checked the Snow Leopard 10.6.4 nVidia 7xxx series kext (NVDANV40Hal.kext) with "lipo -info" and it has indeed 64-bit code.

So, where is the problem really?

BTW, the 32-bit performance of the nVidia 7xxx series card in Snow Leo is bad, while in Leo is ok (fluid transitions, etc). Looks like they just barely updated the kext for SL compatibility.

Any comment about this?

Cheers!

• 2 months later...
So, where is the problem really?

In addition to what I said in post #7 there are no Geforce 7 series cards for Macs that have 64-bit EFI firmware.

Therefore it would not be possible to use a Geforce 7 series card on a Mac running in 64-bit kernel and drivers mode even if the drivers supported it.

And therefore there is no reason for nvidia to provide 64-bit drivers for Geforce 7 series cards.

What's strange is that there apparently is 64-bit support for Geforce 7 cards up to 10.6.2. But then, the OS X nvidia drivers support cards out of the box that were never released in a Mac version - like my 9800GTX+ with dev ID 0x0612, which works with unmodified drivers. I don't know why nvidia leaves this code in the drivers, I'm just going to shut up and be happy about it.

It makes sense to me that there would be 64-bit code in the NV40 driver, since OS X is a 32/64-bit hybrid.

BTW, the 32-bit performance of the nVidia 7xxx series card in Snow Leo is bad, while in Leo is ok (fluid transitions, etc). Looks like they just barely updated the kext for SL compatibility.

Any comment about this?

Hm, I can`t say this is the case with my setup - I`m using a 7600GT (with Chameleon Enabler), the performance (e.g. Dashboard, minimize window) is on par with the performance seen in 10.5.

• 8 months later...

Anyone?

i have the same question... dont answer saying that 64bits is only cosmetic cause it makes a lot of difference in the computer speed... i have it all working now in 32 bits with my GeForce 7200GS 512mb....

i have compiled the EFI String to hexa and insert that in boot.plist, i was about to try edit NVDANV40Hal.kext / NVDANV50Hal.kext / NVDAResman.kext when i saw this post....

so, what can we try?

thanks