Install and Run OS X Retail on PC With No Hacking?

9 posts in this topic

The latest revision of VirtualBox (3.20) lets you create an OS X virtual machine in Windows and supposedly install a retail disc with no hacking. Has anyone tried it? Does it work?

I'll be trying it later tonight. Let's see what happens!

Sorry but you really need to read the log!

Platforms

* New USB Keyboard and Mouse – Support more guests that require USB input devices;

* New Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.5 – Support for the latest version of Oracle's flagship Linux platform;

* New Ubuntu 10.04 (“Lucid Lynx”) – Support for both the desktop and server version of the popular Ubuntu Linux distribution;

* New Mac OS X – On Apple hardware only, support for creating virtual machines running Mac OS X.

Apple Hardware= Only apple computers...

Sorry but you really need to read the log!

Of course they have to say that for legal reasons. Here's a quote from their Website:

"Whereas competing solutions perform modifications to the OS X install DVDs (e.g. different boot loader and replaced files), VirtualBox is the first product to provide the modern PC architecture expected by OS X without requiring any "hacks"."

Why would you need any "hacks" if you were running an Apple host?

it seem not working...

(default value for OSX)

Last virtualBox, win7 x64, I7 860

Maybe Snow Leopard doesn't know about the 860 yet. So far, I've I gotten a little farther than that. Here's my system: Dell Studio XPS 9000, Core i7-920 processor, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 275 graphics. I'm using a Retail Snow Leopard install disk. I've found that I need to specify only one CPU in the VM and allocate no more than 2 GB RAM to it. If I try more than one CPU, the install freezes but VirtualBox is still running. If I specify more than 2 GB RAM, VirtualBox itself crashes. Once I fix those two parameters, I can get past the on-screen Darwin messages and all the way to a solid gray screen with a spinning rainbow wheel. OS X goes no farther when I reach there. I don't know how close to actually running OS X I am but have heard that OS X server is the only version that works well when virtualized so maybe I'll get a copy of that to try. Does anyone else have any ideas? I really like the idea of being able to run OS X programs in a window while running Windows programs so I'd like to be able to make this work.

Did you boot vanilla OSX DVD without using bootloader?

I try without any boot loader. VirtualBox as a buidin EFI to load Vanilla!

I also try with the CD for VMworkstation without result.

Maybe my i7 isn't supported....

in fact it's mean that it will only work on Mac OSX to meet the apple's rules, so if you have osx on your pc it will work,

i had tested and installed it, and it works very well,

unfortunately, their EFI firmware is not open source

moved to the "Virtualization, etc ......." section

• 2 months later...
in fact it's mean that it will only work on Mac OSX to meet the apple's rules, so if you have osx on your pc it will work,

i had tested and installed it, and it works very well,

unfortunately, their EFI firmware is not open source

moved to the "Virtualization, etc ......." section

Virtualbox only supports OSX Server as a guest per the FAQ with only one cpu and hibernate/powersaving mode must be off in OSX Server.Specifically it says it will not run OSX Desktop / client. Maybe this is checked somehow ;maybe what ID the Install DVD has.

Also the FAQ says it has problems with the guest hogging the hosts CPU 100% all the time ( sounds familiar with our Hackintoshes AppleIntelCPUpowermanagement ? )