Audio Recording interfaces that work with OS X

14 posts in this topic

I am a recording tech and I just made the jump from recoding on a Windows based PC to Mac OS X Based

Here is a list of Audio Interfaces that are OS X Compatible. (So says the manufacturer's)

PreSonus FireStudio

Mac: MacOS X 10.4.x or later, PowerPC G4/Dual 1 GHZ or faster, all Intel-based Mac models

On-board FireWire port.

512 MB RAM, 1 GB recommended

M-Audio Fast Track MKII USB Audio Interface

OS X 10.4.11

G4 processor (G4 cards not supported)

1GB RAM

1 native USB port

Phonic Firefly 808

"Dual FireWire ports for daisy chaining and direct connection to Mac or PC"

Blue Icicle XLR to USB Mic Converter/Mic Preamp

Macintosh: Mac OSX with USB 1.0 or 2.0 and 64 MB RAM (minimum)

And if you have more interfaces that work with OS X Just post them and i will add them.

• 3 weeks later...

- Line 6 POD Studio (all versions)

- All M-Audio devices

- All Apogee devices

- All Digidesign devices

Edit: all osx snow leopard compatible

I have a Line 6 POD Studio UX-2. Works with my MacBook running Snow Leopard.

Unfortunately I haven't got it to work with my Hackintosh install yet, but that's a problem with my USB in OSX I guess.

Hey does anybody know if this Tascam Audio interface will work with my hackintosh. It says Mac and Windows Compatible but it doesn't include any drivers, just the Audacity Recording software. Right now I'm running Kalyway 10.5.1 with: -Intel DG35EC Mobo -Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz -Nvidia 8600gt Thanks for your help

tested on 10.6.2 and 10.6.3

- Mackie D4Pro Firewire Mixer (the D2Pro should work as well, same FirewireCard)

- Edirol UA-25EX (I guess all UAs will work except the real old ones)

Mainboards

- Gigabyte GA-EX58UD4P

- Gigabyte GA-EP45DS5

- Asus P5B Deluxe

- Asus Rampage Formula X48

All combinations work well, partly better than the onboard Soundcard of the (first) Gigabyte (ALC889A on both Gigabytes)

• 1 month later...
I am a recording tech and I just made the jump from recoding on a Windows based PC to Mac OS X Based

Here is a list of Audio Interfaces that are OS X Compatible. (So says the manufacturer's)

PreSonus FireStudio

Mac: MacOS X 10.4.x or later, PowerPC G4/Dual 1 GHZ or faster, all Intel-based Mac models

On-board FireWire port.

512 MB RAM, 1 GB recommended

M-Audio Fast Track MKII USB Audio Interface

OS X 10.4.11

G4 processor (G4 cards not supported)

1GB RAM

1 native USB port

Phonic Firefly 808

"Dual FireWire ports for daisy chaining and direct connection to Mac or PC"

Blue Icicle XLR to USB Mic Converter/Mic Preamp

Macintosh: Mac OSX with USB 1.0 or 2.0 and 64 MB RAM (minimum)

And if you have more interfaces that work with OS X Just post them and i will add them.

I just picked up a M-Audio profire 610

Running osx 10.6.4 in 64 bit mode on my gigabyte EP45-UD3P

no problems. The sound is AMAZING, i was running SPIF into a Proceed AVP2 into a pair of McIntosh MC402 amps driving a pair of Magnapan MG3.6R's was great before but 2 channel audio this way is amazing. need to buy more 24/96 recordings!

magnilanar

• 3 weeks later...
Hey does anybody know if this Tascam Audio interface will work with my hackintosh. It says Mac and Windows Compatible but it doesn't include any drivers, just the Audacity Recording software. Right now I'm running Kalyway 10.5.1 with: -Intel DG35EC Mobo -Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz -Nvidia 8600gt Thanks for your help

Um I am not sure... Altough I would try updating to 10.6.

I am pretty sure it is Plug-n-play... Meaning no drivers needed (Or OSX Has the drivers already)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey there,

Im using Focusrite saffire pro 14 in my hackintosh and it works only problem is the audio playback is very low.. i deteled the onboard sound and there seems to be a improvement.. but still the audio is not the original quality

Im using Gigabyte EP45-UD3R mobo and it is connected to the built in firewire port pls help me to get the orginal sound in this.. im uisng protools 9 hd with this.. will instal logic studio in a few days.. smf pls suggest a way i can get my on board audio working again or will it conflict with the firewire interface

• 1 month later...

Hi Donjave, i would suggest you to buy an external pci(e) firewire 400 card, if possible choose one that have a Texas Instruments chipset, as it's seems the best recommended FW chip for audio. Though i've red in the focuscrite site that the Saffire product line can work also with VIA chipsets. Personally i have an old LSI pci FW card, and have no problem with it.

I suggest also that you try to disable the internal audio (the chipset on your mother board) in the BIOS.

Hope that'll help to solve all your problems !

- - -

I have a little problem too :

I'm a happy owner of a Focuscrite Liquid Saffire 56, wich works very well in SL 10.6.6 with Logic Studio, but the system volume slider (in the menu bar) does not work (greyed). I know there's a workaround for HDA (thanks to VoodooHDA), but i can't find any for Firewire audio cards.

I know of course that i can use Mixcontrol (the app shipped with the card) to control volumes, but this greyed/non-working audio slider is generally symptomatic of a compatibility problem. I think we need a sort of "enabler" for firewire audio cards. Any ideas ?