X58A-UD3R and retail SL 10.6.3 install issue

10 posts in this topic

I'll start off with the system specs

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

12gigs of OCZ 1600 ram

1TB Western Digital SATA HD

EVGA Geforce GTX470

A retail copy of Snow Leopard 10.6.3

So... I've used that latest version of Empire EFI to boot from. I pop in the SL CD and everything runs smoothly. It gets to about 99% done with the install and then FAILS!!!

The reason given to me is: The Bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk

I've Googled that and found a few suggestions, none of which seem to have solved the issue. When I run the disk utility and have it verify the HD, it comes back as if everything is fine. However when I reboot and try to start it up through the EFI boot CD again, it starts to load and then crashes and my computer turns off.

Very puzzled as to what could be going on here. Any ideas? Thoughts? or even possibly something I've missed after scouring various forums for the past 5 hours?

Did you try removing all except 1 stick of RAM for installing? and aslo I don't think the Nvidia 400 cards work. I have this board, but my problem comes that the keyboard wont work in the Bios or boot screens.

Well, I was able to get it boot, even though it said install failed.

Basically I unmounted the drive AFTER installation, repaired the disk, restarted and booted using the Empire EFI CD. It loaded up the SL install and then I ran myHack and patched everything from there.

You are right, gfx aren't recognized, but I wasn't expecting them to be. However, I WOULD love to get sound and the onboard internet working!

Most working X58A-UD3 boards are running off Kakewalk or Tonymacx86 bootloaders. I don't recall alot of topics mentioning a fully working X58A-UD3 with Empire EFI, mainly somewhat working boards

there is a topic on these forums. titled something like this "Kakewalk: Minimal Effort Install"

i have the same board as well. i havent installed yet, but i will try it tonight to see if i get any problems using kakewalk install.

however, whats the best way to dual boot this? I want to install both OS on the same harddrive.

Most working X58A-UD3 boards are running off Kakewalk or Tonymacx86 bootloaders. I don't recall alot of topics mentioning a fully working X58A-UD3 with Empire EFI, mainly somewhat working boards

there is a topic on these forums. titled something like this "Kakewalk: Minimal Effort Install"

Actually, the latest version (2.2) of Kakewalk is confirmed to cause a kernel panic with this board specifically. Apparently there was an earlier version of 2.2 somewhere that worked.

Either way, I got Empire EFI to work. I just had to have no more than 4gigs of RAM in during installation. After I installed and used myHack 1.0 RC4.1 I have a stable system with 12gigs of RAM.

Still working on getting audio, gfx and the network card to work... but I think I'll nail these by the end of the day since so many people have already done it with this board.

are you going to dual boot?

because I am having trouble what i should do with dual booting with win 7-

i want to install win 7 on one hd and then snow leopard on another second harddrive and dont know which route to take.

gigabyte x58a-ud3r

corsair 6gb ddr1600

wd750gb

bfg 8800gt

basically followed this tutorial,

http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow...acking-required

i installed it using my ipod video. The first time it didnt load, had this timeout issue. restarted and it booted up to install screen. got to installing, but stopped at 28% with fail. Now i restarted and it wont even take me to the install screen.

its just hanging in the grey screen, where its loading forever.

• 4 weeks later...

I got my x58a-ud3r working with a standard install of chameleon RC4 applied to a vanilla install of 10.6.3 + fakesmc + dsdt w/ rtc fixes. This mobo doesn't require a special bootloader to run, or a distro to get it up and running with the basics.