Upgrading my hackintosh

izapp

7 posts in this topic

Hello.

My current Hackintosh Specs : (10.5.7)

Intel Q9300 2.5Ghz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | ATi 4870X2

I want to upgrade my system because I will be needing the extra power to run 64bit Final Cut Studio.

What I want to upgrade is a i7 cpu, a motherboard that supports ddr3 and a graphics card. And of course run Snow Leopard with no problems what so ever.

I don't mind having no sound from the motherboard because I will be using an external sound card but ethernet and firewire features are essential to work.

I don't know if it's possible to install Snow Leopard on such a system because since I installed my 10.5.7 I stopped reading tutorials and articles about hackintosh. I know though that I've seen some videos on youtube that demonstrate hackintosh i7 systems.

Is it possible to make this happen? How difficult will it be?

As I said, I want the system to run with no problem..

I'm thinking on buying this :

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Intel-Core-I7-920-Socke...e#ht_1913wt_941

or

http://cgi.ebay.ie/INTEL-SOCKET-SKT-1366-C...#ht_3094wt_1177

If there aren't supported, could you suggest a cpu, motherboard and graphics card?

Or maybe if i7 is too much, and can't really be stable then a easy guide how to upgrade from leopard to snow with no problems?

I appreciate your time :P

Just some suggestions.. do you really want to go socket 1366 or you don't mind using 1156? The 1156 core i7 is faster in some tasks than the 1366 core i7 (920 vs 860).

I suggest you pick a P55 Gigabyte motherboard, an Nvidia GFX card (Like a GTX 260 or something cheaper, don't get the new 3xx or 4xx series).

You could either pick a core i5 750 or a core i7 860 with this combination, which are both very fast and will give you very little issues when running Snow leopard.

Rather than upgrading your OS, I'd suggest you backup all your data and do a clean install on the new system.

I think that I should try to upgrade to snow with the current system I got and If I see it's slow for my editing needs then I will upgrade. Any good tutorial guide to upgrade from leopard to snow?

Oh and I have to upgrade my graphics card because the one I got isn't compatible at all.

Isn't there a graphics card that doesn't need all the fuss of adding .kext files.. Just install drivers and that's it? Like those graphics card the genuine Mac Pro supports, will those work?

Have in mind that my motherboard is Asus Rampge Extreme I and isn't really supported, you think that I should upgrade it to install snow or is it ok?

I strongly recommend that you don't perform an upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard, please just do a clean install instead...

Someting like a Geforce 8800, 9400, 9600 or 9800 work all without any hassle at all. Same goes for most GTX 2xx cards.

And upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard does not give any noticable performance gains. Only when you upgrade your hardware you will notice the difference.

Hello.

My current Hackintosh Specs : (10.5.7)

Intel Q9300 2.5Ghz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | ATi 4870X2

I appreciate your time :angel:

I can highly recommend the following:

First go to http://puru.se/ and download Kakewalk. Check out the supported Gigabyte Motherboards.

I built this back in 2009: Gigabyte GA-Ex58-UD5 with Intel i7 920 CPU and DDR3 1600 triple channel RAM.

EVGA Nvidia 9800 GTX+ video card and SATA disk drive and DVD-RW. Running MacOS 10.6.3

I built this as an upgradeable future system. Your choice of system case, power supply, etc. Use Kakewalk to install 10.6 and the updates go in with ease. Kakewalk is the easiert way to install Snow Leopard with the right hardware.

My system has 12 GB RAM and also a SATA BluRay burner. This and other Gigabyte Motherboards allows for RAIDed disk clusters without a RAID card.

I run FCStudio3 and Logic Studio 9 on this system.

Thank you for your replies. I'm going to upgrade my system to i7 and use kakewalk guide.

I know "mdnz01" said that Geforce 8800, 9400, 9600 or 9800 would work and "mac09hack" said that he has 9800 but could you suggest any other graphics cards that work natively (for example the ATI Radeon HD 487?)

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/graphic...eries/4870.aspx

Would this work?