[SOLVED] MSI Neo3 FR p45 - LP64 niggles

FKA

28 posts in this topic

Now I know what the fault is I've done some scratching around.

Looks like a lot of people have problems with P45 MSI boards and 2x 2GB of RAM.

This a dam shame because this board has been very compatable with OS X.

Vert few DSDT edits and I have vanilla speedstep (MSI native _PSS), sleep - native, SATA recognised as internal - native ... in fact I only have fakeSMC.kext in E/E and a bin patched AppleHDA.

Looks like BIOS updates have ground to a halt last year for this board so no real chance of RAM compatability improving.

Running 4GB now single channel - I'll just have to live with this until i get round to replacing it.

Anywho out of all the threads regarding this problem, this one amused me the most.

This guy couldn't get an RMA due to this fault so he's blown some caps, RMA'd and bought a GigaByte ... read on .. >

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/sh...B-Boot-problems

D.

Not as frequent - but have had 2 kernel panics since with RAM in single channel.

to note have fixed a HPET {censored}-up in my DSDT but this obviously wasn't the cause ..

Think I'm done with this MB now .

D

OK I didn't give up and this is now solved !! :)

It was completely down to my own stupidity - no surprise there !

About a month ago I bought 3 PST PWM sharing fans for my case and thought it would be a great idea to daisy chain all 3 fans off of the 4pin cpu fan header.

BAD BAD IDEA - evidently as the cpu temp rises with stress the fan RPM ramps up!

4 fans on one header - BAD IDEA -

I disconnected the additional fans from the cpu fan head last night and have stress tested overnight with RAM in dual channel and with LP64 kernel with NO problems.

Great tip from mm67 today, who also uses a PST PWN fan set up. This lead will let you power the fans direct from the PSU but obviously keep the control signal.

Many thanks for the great tip ..

So in conclusion - I'm very good at creating my own problems - what a muppet !! :P

For anybody interested here is my current DSDT.dsl

EDIT OOps had missed off device ID for LPC - wondered why temps had crept up ...

DSDT18_06_10.dsl.zip

D

DSDT09_06_10.dsl.zip