Snow Leopard Install for Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5?

14 posts in this topic

Has anyone had any success with this motherboard?

There are plenty of posts about the UD3R and some about the UD7, but not much on UD5. As of this date, not much by even using "G**gle" resources.

Perhaps we should start a thread here if anyone has had any success or failure, as this might help others decide whether to purchase this motherboard, or choose another.

Help others, pay it forward. :hysterical:

I have that mobo. Here's my setup:

GA-X58A-UD5

Intel i7 920

12 GB RAM

320 GB Velociraptor Drive

No overclocking

When I first put this setup together, I wasn't paying attention, and so I thought I had an EX58. As such, I followed digital_dreamers instructions here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097

Using those instructions exactly, I was able to get everything up and running except for sound and sleep. Since then, I've tried various things to get both working but with no luck.

Later, I read that Kakewalk http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=195248 was a good solution for this Mobo. So I took my main HD out and popped in a fresh one, then ran the SL install using the Kakewalk CD. I picked the GA-X58A-UD7 Mobo since the UD5 isn't on there. That was a VERY easy install, but once again the sound and sleep didn't work.

As a fix, so I could use the computer, I bought a USB sound card and shut off sleep. Now I've got a fully working computer, that never goes to sleep.

Has anyone had any success with this motherboard?

There are plenty of posts about the UD3R and some about the UD7, but not much on UD5. As of this date, not much by even using "G**gle" resources.

Perhaps we should start a thread here if anyone has had any success or failure, as this might help others decide whether to purchase this motherboard, or choose another.

Help others, pay it forward. :)

I picked the GA-X58A-UD7 Mobo since the UD5 isn't on there. That was a VERY easy install, but once again the sound and sleep didn't work.

Did you try the suggested solution from http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.2 ?

I'm in the market and has been struggling between x58a-UD3R(least feature) / UD5 (optimal) / UD7 (out of reach); and if everything works on UD5 that it'd be an easy decision for me.

Hi I'm building my first hackintosh, and mistakenly bought this Mobo instead of the GA-EX58-UD5. I'm not sure I can return it, possibly for store credit but if it works, I'd like to keep it as I got a pretty good deal. Anyone have this working? Anyone know if it's working as well/any better than the GA-EX58-UD5? I'd like to know fairly soon to return it if need be

So I finally built this computer, and don't know how to get this to install. I restored me upgrade disc to my flash drive, pointed kakewalk to it and selected the x58a-ud7 option. I have my flash drive plugged into one of the back ports, and I select the boot option to boot from usb-fdd. there are other usb options (cd-rom, hdd) but none of them work. I have Windows 7 installed, but was trying to install this to a separate hd. But it doesn't seem to even start. When I select usb-fdd it takes me to a "windows failed to boot normally" screen.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? This is my first build, so I'm not sure what to do.

Update:

Ok, I was screwing that up. I was supposed to use usb-hdd. I did that, and I think I set my BIOS settings correctly, but all that happens is it says "VERIFYING DMI POOL DATA" and then has a blinking cursor underneath of that.

Anyone have any ideas? at all?

• 2 weeks later...
use the kakewalk install its simple!

it works like a charm! for the GA-X58A-UD5, select the Gigabyte X58A-UD7 option. follow the directions like they provide and you will be golden. ensure you use an empty drive and install. after you update to 10.6.3v1.1 combo (download it & don't use the software updater), run the kakewalk and to be safe. you may get an error, ignore it and open kakewalk again and run it. after you reboot, go here http://www.hackint0sh.org/showthread.php?p...ed=1#post557502 and use raptor28's file. i used kext help b7 to install AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext from his file. you can read that and what else i did on the link. my system is 100% working! thx to all the smart folks out there that are willing to share their knowledge!!

So I finally built this computer, and don't know how to get this to install. I restored me upgrade disc to my flash drive, pointed kakewalk to it and selected the x58a-ud7 option. I have my flash drive plugged into one of the back ports, and I select the boot option to boot from usb-fdd. there are other usb options (cd-rom, hdd) but none of them work. I have Windows 7 installed, but was trying to install this to a separate hd. But it doesn't seem to even start. When I select usb-fdd it takes me to a "windows failed to boot normally" screen.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? This is my first build, so I'm not sure what to do.

Update:

Ok, I was screwing that up. I was supposed to use usb-hdd. I did that, and I think I set my BIOS settings correctly, but all that happens is it says "VERIFYING DMI POOL DATA" and then has a blinking cursor underneath of that.

search is your friend

I have a GA-X58A-UD5 with 3G Kingston Ram and GV-R485ZL-512H Radeon HD 4850.

I've tried installing 10.6.0 retail by Kakewalk CD for GA-X58A-UD7 using the regular and legacy iso. In both cases I can boot up to and including the grey apple logo with the spinning timer, but when I hit the point where the window should pop up asking for a language, the display goes to grey , sometimes with some sort of weird garbage pattern.

Does anyone have any luck getting the 4850 to work with Kakewalk?

Is there a way to add kexts to the Kakewalk isos to deal with the ATI cards?

Much thanks,

-T

Update:

this is more of what i think and won't answer your question at all... sorry...

personally, i didn't try the usb version. i stuck with the disc method to avoid getting a new usb flash drive to use. i will in the near future get one though. may i ask why you haven't tried the disc method? i know that works flawlessly. i did use usb for my dell mini and that was flawless too, thx to the smart people here: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/general-ma...ate-thread.html

i did try the tonymac [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] install without any luck. http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibo...ac-os-x-on.html

i thought i had the bios settings correct and tried the nVidia and supported versions of the bootloader without any luck to get past the happy apple. others report it worked great for them. i know my knowledge and understanding isn't high enough to work the bugs out on my own. i can follow instruction fairly well...

have you tried different usb ports? i did find that after reading some about installing osx on the GA-X58A-UD5 that you should use the blue sata ports. i noticed when i boot, that it doesn't see my rom drive when plugged into the white ports. i would assume that is due to a kext needing to be used. my guess from skimming the notes that it's due to being a gigabyte port and needs a special kext... i haven't messed with seeing if they work, as i have enough blue ports right now. i do plan on getting a larger case and installing another rom drive and would like to use the white ports, if possible. just thought maybe you may want to use a verified method for now to get up and running and play with the usb install when you as happy using the system.

i do know that i have a 100% running system now and that makes me happy. that includes having the 10.6.3v1.1 update installed!

maybe more guides will come out as others start using these boards more. i can say that comparing this system to my older P5K system, it runs much more responsive. i never did get the P5K board to allow for the 10.6.3 update and that could be a huge reason. it ate up more memory and had a slower processor... not by much though really. now that i have this system running, i will mess with the P5K and try to see about getting that running 10.6.3!

i hope you get your system running and figure out the usb install method. the ox86 guides are getting better and easier to use. you may keep checking back there.

best of luck to you!

To Chiddy 22

I believe the reason your usb method might not be working correctly is that the usb drive has to be formatted in Mac Jornaled Extended and have a GUID partitioning table not MBR. See if that works.

To Chiddy 22

I believe the reason your usb method might not be working correctly is that the usb drive has to be formatted in Mac Jornaled Extended and have a GUID partitioning table not MBR. See if that works.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a GA-X58A-UD5 with 3G Kingston Ram and GV-R485ZL-512H Radeon HD 4850.

I've tried installing 10.6.0 retail by Kakewalk CD for GA-X58A-UD7 using the regular and legacy iso. In both cases I can boot up to and including the grey apple logo with the spinning timer, but when I hit the point where the window should pop up asking for a language, the display goes to grey , sometimes with some sort of weird garbage pattern.

Does anyone have any luck getting the 4850 to work with Kakewalk?

Is there a way to add kexts to the Kakewalk isos to deal with the ATI cards?

Much thanks,

-T

After poking around a bit, I was able to install on my rig:

Hack 3: Running 10.6.4 via myHack installer 1.01

Intel Core i7 920

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5

3GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Crucial

ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB

500GB WD - snow leopard

I used Empire EFI (aschar's beta boot CD) to get things started. At the boot picture of Darth Vader, I swapped out the Boot CD for the 10.6.0 Installation DVD, then hit F5. When the Install DVD was recognized, I hit tab to get boot options and booted in safe mode (-x) to get non-garbaged graphics.

After a successful install, rebooted from the boot CD in safe mode again. I used the myhack 1.01 installer to add chameleon, then upgraded to 10.6.4.

This resulted in kernel panic due to sleepenabler.kext on next reboot. I rebooted again using the boot CD, and swapped in the install DVD to use terminal to remove sleepenabler (rm -rf /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext).

I was then able to reboot in safe mode again. I added a few files to /Extra from raptor28's file:

1) dsdt.aml

2) com.apple.Boot.plist

3) smbios.plist

I also added a kext to deal with the stupid orange icons:

4) Extensions/IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

Then I followed the instructions in A Simple Guide to the 4830/4850/... to enable my ATI Radeon HD 4850.

Afterwards I installed and ran the pfix script (v 3.0).

There was a scary moment after the reboot with -v -f where the display went blank but the computer kept running. Eventually I took a deep breath and just pressed down the power button to restart. After a restart in safe mode showed that the videocard was working, I rebooted normally and all was well. QE/CI is working (tested by losing a game of chess).

I've attached my /E/E in case it helps someone.

-T

X58A_UD5_4850.tar.gz