higher VESA resolutions?

6 posts in this topic

My GeForce 6800GT PCIe BIOS has 1024x768x32 as the highest VESA graphics mode. I know that there are other nVidia 6800GT cards that can go beyond this, to 1280x1024 or possibly 1600x1200. Since this is not a hardware but a firmware limitation, I think simply reflashing the BIOS should help.

Here hundreds of nVidia BIOS-es can be downloaded:

http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=co...der&filecatid=4

Is it a good idea, or should I just drop it?

ps. my only problem is I don't which one should I choose. I do not want to start just trying, since reflashing the BIOS is a tricky operation, and I don't have a secondary PCI video card at hand in case of failure, so if any of u know for sure a specific GeForce 6800GT PCIe card that knows 1280x1024, you may help me. ;)

My GeForce 6800GT PCIe BIOS has 1024x768x32 as the highest VESA graphics mode. I know that there are other nVidia 6800GT cards that can go beyond this, to 1280x1024 or possibly 1600x1200. Since this is not a hardware but a firmware limitation, I think simply reflashing the BIOS should help.

Here hundreds of nVidia BIOS-es can be downloaded:

http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=co...der&filecatid=4

Is it a good idea, or should I just drop it?

ps. my only problem is I don't which one should I choose. I do not want to start just trying, since reflashing the BIOS is a tricky operation, and I don't have a secondary PCI video card at hand in case of failure, so if any of u know for sure a specific GeForce 6800GT PCIe card that knows 1280x1024, you may help me. ;)

if you first try loading a new BIOS using the VGABios tool and it works, it's pretty much safe to flash with that new BIOS. otherwise, just restart your computer. VGABios doesn't do any peremanant changes, it just loads a new video BIOS temporarily.

on the topic of bios flashing, is it OK to flash a Nvidia GeforceFX 5200 BIOS onto a GeforceFX Go5200 card (Del Inspiron 8600)?

I don't know, but it's a good question. I have a HP TC1100 with GeforceFX 5200 Go, and it reports two displays to macOS, messing everything up. If you tried reflashing yours, and it works, please tell me! :P

I don't know, but it's a good question. I have a HP TC1100 with GeforceFX 5200 Go, and it reports two displays to macOS, messing everything up. If you tried reflashing yours, and it works, please tell me! :rolleyes:

Sorry but I'm not going to reflash mine. VESA does not support widescreen resolution, so flashing won't help me to get widescreen..only a functional NVIDIA OSx86 driver would.