Install without DVD Burner

hdavy2002

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have a patched iso and it around 6 gb, Is it possible to burn it couple of cd's. I do nto have any dvd burner. So if it is possible for the patched dvd iso to burn on multiple cd's please let me know,i saw a thread on using vmware, but I am lost in that. How do i insatll vmware and then do that etc, if someone can create a small guide, it would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I have a patched iso and it around 6 gb, Is it possible to burn it couple of cd's. I do nto have any dvd burner. So if it is possible for the patched dvd iso to burn on multiple cd's please let me know,i saw a thread on using vmware, but I am lost in that. How do i insatll vmware and then do that etc, if someone can create a small guide,  it would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.

You don't need a dvd player or burner to install from a patched dev dvd. You do need the proper dev deadmoo iso, and it is not 6GB. Where to get this will not be discussed here.

You will need to use daemon tools to mount the iso. You will install through vmware but you should do a search before even attempting this since you will have to use diskutil.

Here is what i did: I had one hard drive (2 partitions) and no dvd player.

1) WinXP already on first partition.

2) Changed logical second partition into a primary partition and formatted as fat32.

3) Changed type of second partition to AF using a knoppix boot cd. (may not be necessary but i did this anyway)

4) Using vmware create a new freebsd virtual machine and add your entire physical disk. (you better read other threads on how to do this)

5) mount your iso using daemon tools and add this virtual drive to your vmware freebsd virtual machine.

6) Boot the freebsd virtual machine and boot from the virtual dvd drive.

7) Once the installer has booted go into the file menu and use diskutil to format your partition to HFS+. This is the most dangerous step. Make sure only your future OS X partition is highlighted and not the entire drive. Even if done correctly your xp installation may get hosed. Don't come crying to me if XP won't boot.

8) do a custom install, you don't all the printer drivers.

9) After installation is complete shut down the virtual machine and add OSX to XP's boot loader via the chain0 method.

Again, read step 7 twice. Diskutil has been known to foul a working system so you should be prepared to hose XP. It has fouled the systems of much smarter people than me, so you've been warned.

Thanks for the guide,

I managed to boot up and went to disk utility, but i only see the 4 gb drive as given by vmware. I do not see any free space to partition, it only ask me to partition the 4 gb space.

I tried using the whole HD in VM setting, but still i do not see it.

Could someone give a step by step guide in vmware, there are so many settings, I am confused

this is what i have:

p4 processor

an extra drive as slave

VMware 5

No DVD burner or i would have started a native install

deamontools

My osx boots up the normal way when i use typical settings in vmware.

What I would like is to install it on the second HD that I have , it's 40 gb.

I am using marklar's patched iso, which I am supposed to burn on DVD, but I have no DVD burner.